How can we improve Team Services?

Add support for SSH keys as alternate authentication method in TFS and Team Services

A common way to authenticate clients in a Git setup is to use SSH keys. It would be nice to have that method on TFS Online as well.

2,687 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Magnus JohanssonMagnus Johansson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FrantisekFrantisek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to connect existing ssh git repo directly to VS2015? The problem with VSTS is in the corporate companies because the domain administrator do not give firewall exception on visualstudio.com.
        Thank you.

• Spike RobinsonSpike Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really struggled to get this working but I did succeed. I suggest these things need emphasis:
        -You need to get the SSH URL from the Clone dialog because it is different from what you are probably expecting!
        - So the Clone step is NOT optional (even if you already have the repo cloned)!
        - Notice that the account name before the @ is the same as the first part of the domain name. That's not just a dumb example, it actually has to be like that.
        - RSA1 ("identity.pub") keys are not supported
        - ECDSA keys ("id_ecdsa.pub") are not supported
        - While some checking is done on keys, it is easy to upload an invalid or corrupt key without seeing any error message.

• Spike RobinsonSpike Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone got this working? I just spent 2-3 hours trying and failing. I actually can't get the base ssh connection to authenticate, let alone get Git to work. The example shows an rsa key so I posted my id_rsa,pub and I can see my ssh session (ssh -T -vvvv) is offering this key. I can see the fingerprints match. But public key fails and falls back to password which (I guess by design for this connection method) fails. One thing that is not clear is whether I should use my alternate VSTS ID or my primary ID to authenticate on ssh, and if this ID has to match any metadata in the public key, and has to match the id I am running on locally from the client I am trying to connect from. The example doc is pretty hazy on exactly which credentials to present. I guess I could try using a different key type rather than RSA but I feel like I'm shooting in the dark here. I really need this feature because I need to set up automation and I don't want passwords in script files.

• Vladimir VasilevVladimir Vasilev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Second Shaunt Kojabashian's question - would like to use VS as my git tool, but it does not support SSH. A fix for TFS will not resolve VS' problems with SSH

• Carl WalshCarl Walsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will VS git sync support reading %GIT_SSH% for the ssh client I've already configured my ssh key?

• Vinicius XavierVinicius Xavier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to be able to connect VSTS build system with GitLab's repositories. The problem is that they allow tipically only SSH-based incoming connections.

• Rufus BuschartRufus Buschart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great, if you could support SSH-keys on SmartCards via the SmartCard MiniDriver Infrastructure. Having private keys on a local drive is very bad practice.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base