How can we improve Team Services?

Test Explorer is severely limited

I have to assume the people who developed the VS2012/2013 test explorer view never actually had to use it in production. The test explorer view is horribly limited in comparison to the one in VS2010.

1. Running tests does not open the Test Explorer window until after all the tests completed running. There's literally no indication that anything is happening. VS2010 immediately opened the window to show you that the tests were running.

2. Where are the columns? Most importantly: the error message column. if I'm dealing with multiple test failures, I almost always just need to see the error messages at a glance. Having to select each individual test just to see the result is annoying.

3. Where'd the ability to run tests in context go? There's no way to run an individual test without going into the full test list, finding it, and then selecting it just to run it. This might be okay if you have a project with 10 tests, but a solution with thousands of tests makes this arduous. This needs to be fixed badly. Either bring back the "run tests in context" button or at least add some right click menus for "Run this test" and "Run all tests in class".

4. The progress bar is terrible. A five pixel high bar might be useful to someone with an 800x600 monitor, but for the rest of us a barely noticable progress bar is not enough to know that all the tests finished passing. ****, half the time the progress bar color doesn't even change. It just stays red/orange rather than changing to green.

Please fix this. It has made working with unit tests far more of a chore than it needs to be.

582 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ross DickinsonRoss Dickinson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Eiríkur HaraldssonEiríkur Haraldsson shared a merged idea: Groupping UnitTests by Namespace missing in VS2012  ·   · 

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin CherryKevin Cherry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of my main concerns is that of hierarchical test categories. In VS 2010, I had a project with around 700 unit tests and they were split up into categories. Those categories where then split into sub-categories, which themselves had sub-sub-categories, etc. With 700 tests, you had to do something like this to stay organized. I could then run either an entire root category, or a sub-category, or a sub-sub-category etc. Now in VS 2015, all we get is root categories??? Do you honestly feel that 700 unit tests can be sufficiently organized by a single level of categorization? I agree whole-heartedly with the original post and with him saying that the VS team has never actually had to use this testing functionality on an actual project. Hey Visual Studio team, why don't you try using your own tools for an actual, real, complex task and see if the features are adequate enough and see if the workflow is smooth and efficient enough. Things look great on paper don't they? Until you actually have to use this mess of a unit test suite.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After considering porting big solution with thousands of test cases from 2010 -> 2015 we decided not to do that because of our devs complained about bad test management in 2015. Thank you MS for saving us some costs.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right click - run this test was great. Why did it have to go?

Run All randomly stops and does not actually run everything it has discovered earlier.

'Configure continuous integration' message is annoying and cannot be removed to save screen real estate.

• DominicDominic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't know if it has been mentioned but its not possible to copy/paste something directly from the popup of the error icon in VS2015, if you have a exception for example.
        You have to go to the testexplorer, maybe change the filtering to Outcome and the select copy of the desired test. Very uneconomic and time expensive.

• BrajpalBrajpal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#40 - Error/Exception are not shown properly
        #41 - Report for Test with Iteration is messed up

Did not like at all this Test Explorer.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Run tests in context is: Ctrl+R, T
        Debug tests in context: Ctrl+R, Ctrl+T

If you want a button just add a button with the customise option.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No way to clear test results either. Need to clean and rebuild the entire solution and then way for tests being re-discovered. Losing time. Simple 'clear all results' would do. And yes, where did right click - run test in CODE WINDOW go?

• Timothy KlenkeTimothy Klenke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+2 for #36. When grouping tests by Class the tree should include the namespace hierarchy as tree nodes, class name as the last branch, and test method names as the leaves. This would allow to run all tests in any namespace.

I use the log all the time for GUI testing, why take the feature away! Bring it back, Please

• DanLGDanLG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#40: Test Explorer to remain pinned to the main screen on restart (VS2015 professional)

Exactly, exactly, exactly! I'm so glad to see I'm not that only one that can't stand the text explorer changes after 2010 - don't "fix" something that isn't broken! Seriously VS 2012 made me want to either quit coding or go back to open source development and take a massive pay cut.

Please show in-progress for tests that are running. Can't you move back to the 2010 unit test view and features.

• Ross DickinsonRoss Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#39: ""!!! LOG TRUNCATED !!! To get complete log, Select 'Copy All' on the Right Click Menu and then paste into some text editor like notepad."

Are you guys kidding me? Now I can't even see all the of output for a test in VS? I have to manually copy/paste it to an external program? This test runner has seriously just become useless.

• cc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh where, oh where is Microsoft? Lonely are we, not seeing an update in this ticket since October!.

• Marc LewandowskiMarc Lewandowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kudos to Ross for keeping this updated. I just received a request for email consult on this, let's see if that means it's finally going somewhere.

• cc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why this whole change how this whole thing worked since VS2010.. which was very good at what it did and made it really easy to see what tests were running, and easily see what previous runs of tests failed and what the failures were, etc.

• Ross DickinsonRoss Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#38: This just happened to me. I had a single failing test. While trying to fix the test, I rebuilt the project and hit a compilation error. This removed all of the tests from the test list, but the other panel continued to say "1 Test Failed". Rebuilding the project put all the tests back under "Not Run Tests", while still displaying "1 Test Failed". There's no way for me to get back to my failing test result without running all the tests again.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base