How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Quick code editing switch or warning

The quick editing feature from TFS2015 doesn't take into consideration the check-in policies that are in-place for a team project.

Scenario:
Work item policy setup in order to warn the developers to associate their changesets with one or more work items. They can bypass the policy but at least they're aware of it.
If they check-in from web interface then they are not even aware that a check-in policy exits.

It would be useful if a setting would be provided to enable/disable this feature. Or an warming that would notify the users that a check-in policy is in place when they try to check-in from web interface.

22 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

danieldaniel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are excited to let you know that we are working on this suggestion. We expect to release this on the service with the next deployment and on-premises with the next major release of TFS.

Kayla Ngan
    Program Manager

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Luong HangLuong Hang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical issue. It breaks the integrity of check-in Policy that we have invested over the years to better control the quality of checked in codes.

We are in the process of introducing the web interface of TFS (2015) to our users. We have to stop the activity until the "quick code editing" feature can be disabled.

• Anthony HunterAnthony Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to be addressed. It is allowing our users to check in code that don't meet our policies.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new feature in TFS server 2015 is a high risk and very serious problem for our project!

If Microsoft cannot force the check-in policy, there MUST be a solution given by Microsoft to disable this option in the web interface!

If I knew this is the case, I would have not upgrade to TFS 2015 and wait for more reasonable logic!

• Sachin JainSachin Jain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a confirmed problem and exposes risk of accidental check in without being warned.

• Sina JazayeriSina Jazayeri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wouldn't it be even a better solution, if the action of check-in would obey the concept of check-in policies no matter how the check-in took place?

• Patrick NeborgPatrick Neborg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Confirming that after we recently upgraded our on-premise TFS to TFS2015 Update 1 that this issue is now occurring for us. This creates an issue with our source code management process.

• bebobebo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We’ve been given guidance from Microsoft to use check-in policies to help with audit controls. I didn’t realize until now that when we went through our TFS 2015 on-prem upgrade we created an open door to circumvent those policies. This completely takes the ground out from under us when we have to answer audit questions.
        I know the TFS team uses feature flags. Surely there is a way to disable this feature as a stop-gap for us?

Feedback and Knowledge Base