Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make email templates customizable for Release Management 2013

Would be nice if the emails for approving and validating the releases from RM server are customizable.
    To be able to put own texts in or company logos.

100 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are changing the way we maintain User Voice feedbacks for Release Management.
      So far we have been marking feedback items as Archived if we are not going to address them in near future. We understand this could have caused some confusion.
      From now on, we’ll be discontinuing this practice and marking something Archived only if we want to close the feedback item for any further input.
      Accordingly, we are resetting the status for this item and would be updating the status for the same based on our FY17 plans.
      Thanks
      [Shashank Bansal – MSFT PM]

• Trigger Rollback activity when a Release is Rejected (somehow) by the user/approver

Nowadays, the Rollback activity in the Release Template is triggered only if one of the previous activities fail (returning a non-0 status code).

It would be great to be able to trigger a Rollback activity if the release is Rejected by some of the Approvers.

By now, when it happens, we need to trigger a new Release manually to rollback the application to the previous version. It takes a hard work because we need to find the latest valid (and released) build, etc.

91 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are changing the way we maintain User Voice feedbacks for Release Management.
        So far we have been marking feedback items as Archived if we are not going to address them in near future. We understand this could have caused some confusion.
        From now on, we’ll be discontinuing this practice and marking something Archived only if we want to close the feedback item for any further input.
        Accordingly, we are resetting the status for this item and would be updating the status for the same based on our FY17 plans.
        Thanks

• Only download artifacts required for task execution

Please add a configuration option for a release definition to force agents to only download artifacts that are required for task execution.

Currently, all artifacts are downloaded. For large releases, this could be hundreds of megs or even GBs. If my release def only uses 1 artifact, only that artifact should be downloaded.

See details here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36559528/prevent-unnecessary-artifact-download-when-using-release-management

69 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
          Thanks for the suggestion. After a gap, we’ve started looking into this again. We’re thinking of providing a setting for every phase to specify the set of artifacts that is required for execution of the phase, and ignore the rest.
          That way, within a definition, you can optimize the download of artifacts to only required one for each phase.
          Let us know if this is inline with the expectations.
          Thanks
          Shashank
          Visual Studio PM

• Add Check/IF Activity in Release Template

It should be possible to check a condition before executing a release activity. For example to check if a website exits before removing a website or check for a folder before deleting the folder.

67 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Change release variables' value when deploy a release

In Build definition for VSTS, variables are allowed to change their values at queue time. Could this feature be available in release: when deploy a release the variables' value could be changed?

57 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Make it possible to link a variable group to a specific environment in a release definition

We have many release definitions that use the same variables. The variables are different for different environments, for example the variable "Environment" that can have the values "Dev", "Test", "Stage", "Prod".
              It can be used by the tokenizer to set the values in different environment.
              I would like to make different variable groups for different environment like for example:

dev_variables
              test_variables
              stage_variables
              prod_variables

I want this in TFS on premises.

Thank you

53 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • release management folder

Folders! We have a large group of developers, and by the time we're done converting all of our legacy apps to .NET we're going to have somewhere over 100 release definitions. It would be nice if we could put them in folders to organize them.

48 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Rename 'Environment' in Release to 'Stage' or something generic.

The name Environment is misleading and limited my understanding. In reality, it is a group of steps completing a chunk of work.

For example, I have a Slot deployment that needs approval. I have a 'QA - SlotA', followed by 'QA Swap SlotA'. Next I have 2 stages that can be approved - 'QA - Rollback' and 'PrePod - SlotA'. To call these approval stages 'Environments' simple doesn't make sense.

41 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks

• Task Group custom conditions at group and task level

Enable the task Control Options custom conditions for the Task Group Task to skip the Task Group, and also the at the individual tasks wihtin the group.

When you create a Task Group for a bunch of tasks that had custom conditions, these seem to be removed as the UI no longer shows the custom conditions options.

37 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Build vnext and release management vnext task : security

It should be possible to add security on build/release task to make them available or not , usable or not.

It should be possible not only to add task but to remove task from the list of available task

36 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks

• Allow deployment logs to be attached to emails

When you have a deployment fail in Release Management, there should be an option to have the full tool log attached to the emails that are sent out to the Deployment Owner group.

For example: If publishing a DACPAC fails, the only information you're given is that SQLCOMMAND.EXE failed and returned an error code. This doesn't give the developers enough information to troubleshoot the issue. If the log file was attached to the email, they'd be able to see the root cause of the deployment failure and take corrective action without having to load up the RM client.

35 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks

• InRelease Reports

I want to have nice SSRS and SharePoint Dashboard reports showing the release and deployment process from TFS to In Release and through lab environments.

34 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks

• Make Task Groups available via the REST API

Just like we can get things like a list of release definitions via the REST API ("/_apis/release/definitions") I would like the Task Groups to be made available in the same way:

Get a list of task groups
                            Get a task group
                            Create a task group
                            Update a task group
                            Delete a task group
                            Get revision history for a task group
                            Get a particular revision history

32 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add folders for Release Definitions in Team Explorer

I would like to have folders in release definitions that allow me to organize the release definitions.. In my project I have created the separate Release Definition for each component to be deployed and one for Common Release Definition to deploy all components in one shot. It would be good if i can organize the components by folder structure at Release Definition .

25 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Be able to copy a task to other environments

When you already have a number of environments setup you may need to add a new task. Once you have created it in one environment you must then manually recreate it the others.

It would be useful if there was an option to copy a task to some or all other environments.

23 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Release activity in work item history

Currently, associated work items are listed in the release. But, from within the work item, there isn't a link or a history entry to tie it to the release.

19 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Additional PSRemoting options and package download via HTTP(S)

Could you please provide a way to specify the Enter-PSSession options -ConfigurationName, -Port, -Authentication and -CertificateThumbprint, next to the ones that are already available when deploying a component (such as UseCredSSP, SkipCaCheck, etc.)?
                                    Especially -ConfigurationName would be welcome, since it would allow admins to create a dedicated PSSessionConfiguration that can be secured appropriately.

Also, could you please provide a more firewall-friendly option than file shares to download the deployment package from? Perhaps something like HTTP(s) or SFTP/FTPS downloads.

Both features would help in using Release Management in Test/Acceptance/Production environments that are separated from eachother through firewall and/or network routing rules…

19 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks

• Allow service connections to be parameterized in task groups

Task groups allows us to combine tasks across our release environments, except for since most of our tasks interact with Azure they require a service connection parameter. Please make the service connections parameterizable as well. I've tried putting a variable in there with the name of the service connection but it doesn't seem to work.

19 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Release management: Task should be movable between agent phases

Add a second agent phase to an existing release.
                                        Try to move items from the existing phase into the new phase via drag and drop.
                                        Fail and start to recreate and copy and paste text. (Be sad)

Why can't I drag tasks between phases?

18 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Validate Pull Request only if Build has been Released Successfully

It would be great if Pull Request validation could be done only when the release associated with the build has been successfully deployed.

Currently, all we can do is validate that the build is successfull, but deployements are great to dispatch tests to various teams (QA, Performance tests, ...) but cannot be bound to the PR validation

16 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base