Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Azure DevOps Developer Community. To learn more about the migration please check out the release blog post

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Azure DevOps and Team Foundation Server (TFS), so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The VSTS Team

How can we improve Azure DevOps?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Incremental Pull Request Workflow

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366132/incremental-pull-request-workflow.html
    A typical workflow for pull request reviews is the following:
    1. a developer provides a patch as pull review
    2. the developer gets feedback
    3. the developer updates the pull request according to the review and pushes new changes
    4. the reviewer again review the pull request and possibly the sequence continues with step 2 if anything is still to do
    5. otherwise the developer can merge the pull request

For this workflow, there are currently a few important things are missing in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Migrate a shelveset to a different branch

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366130/migrate-a-shelveset-to-a-different-branch.html
    Restore functionality in TFS/TFVC 2017 to migrate a shelveset to a different branch when unshelving.

This functionality was available in Powertools 2015 via

tfpt unshelve /migrate /source:"$/ProjectName/Branch" /target:"$/ProjectName/Targetbranch" "My Shelveset Name"

But there is no equivalent or workaround for vs 2017 as far as I can tell.

(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49371144/visual-studio-2017-cannot-move-shelveset-to-another-branch)

Moving incomplete work between branches as release dates change, or new work comes in is a common practice for us.
    Now we have to temporarily commit incomplete/broken work to merge it into other…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Button to contact administrators of a project/team when creating a repo

When creating a repo in a project/team that you are a member of, but where you do not have admin permissions you get an error.
    It would be very helpful to have a button which allows me to locate and contact the admins to get the permissions or their help.

Thanks,

--Mayel Espino ><>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Notification of being removed from a pull request

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366127/notification-of-being-removed-from-a-pull-request.html
    The standard "Pull request reviewers added or removed" notification is way too noisy. I don't need to know about everyone else. I don't even need to know when I've been added. I check my requests frequently so I will see it. What I need to know is if someone else removes me from a review. Even with a custom notification there is not enough information to set this up.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Pull Request list - add an option to be able to default to the "Active" list of Pull Requests instead of "Mine"

In our organization, it would be more useful to default to the "Active" list of Pull Requests instead of to the list of "Mine" pull requests.

It would be nice if there was a per-user preference that could be set to default to that tab instead.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allowing logging into the VSTS web portal using alternative access credentials and personal access tokens

If you authenticate to the Visual Studio Online web portal using ADFS, you may be unable to login to the portal from anything other than your main dev machine.

Alternate access credentials and personal access tokens (PATs) provide a convenient way of working with Git from any machine, but cannot be used to authenticate with the VSTS web portal. It would be very useful to expand the scope of these credentials to allow this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. create branch permission

Summary: We need to regulate who can create branches without disturbing developers ability to push to the servers single dedicated master branch from their local branches.
    We have run into a road block concerning Branch Permissions in VSTS. We want to restrict the creation of branches on the VSTS server to admins and not all of development. We removed 'Allow' perms from the developers which does restrict them from creating a branch, but it also blocks them from being able to push from their local branch they created. I am assuming that VSTS temporarily creates a branch to do the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. files shouldn't navigate to different web pages

When you navigate to a file in a code review, each file takes you to a new web page causing your navigation history to be filled with tens if not hundreds of "sites" of the files

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Code cleanup on check-in

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366116/code-cleanup-on-check-in.html
    Add an option to automatically clean up and format all checked-in code on the TFS/VSTS Server.
    This would immediately settle formatting wars in teams and improve the results when comparing different versions of a file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Show my review status in pull request email

A PR can be long lived (spanning weeks), and a common question when triaging email is: "Do I need to do anything with this ?"
    Showing my Approval Status would save time, as I'd see that I'm still signed off(not reset), or that I do have to look, because it was reset.
    (note while the votes reset alert email is sent, in a conversation view, there are likely 7 other status emails on top, hiding the reset)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make possible of ulti origin repositories

Make possible to link other remotes like GitHub or BitBucket to have shard code with more people. Your service is less competitive then those. It may be because you are forcing users to have Microsoft account.

It will be great advantage if Visual Studio Online be possible to sync remote repos as well.

Imagine scenario: You are developing software in private repo at VSTS and share 2 branches at GitHub repository with community. VSTS syncs repos using web hocks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. TFS build services are great but don't have great support for old codebases.

Lots of codebases, LLVM for example, are built around lots of separate subversion projects that can be checked out into each other as a kind of submodule. Lots of codebases also have unit tests that use expect or some custom parsing tool. You should a) add a tool for 'expect' type output parsing tests and b) add some functionality in VSTS to understand linked repositories within the same project.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Clear 'Team Approvers' is a policy is in place

Clear 'Team Approvers' in a Pull Request if a policy is already present.

If a policy is present then a number of mandatory PR approvers will automatically be applied to a PR. Currently, the VSTS behaviour is to add the whole team as optional approvers.

If email notifications for Pull Requests are enabled, then the whole team (which can be quite large) will automatically get PR emails unless the developer remembers to remove the default 'optional' team entry.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add VSTS/TFS REST API for creating branch

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366111/add-vststfs-rest-api-for-creating-branch.html
    For now no anyway to create branches with TFS REST API.
    Sometimes we need to create branches in code or script, it will be more convenient on creating a branch if add the REST API.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Automated Code Review assistant for VSTS or TFS 2018

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366107/automated-code-review-assistant-for-vsts-or-tfs-20.html
    Automated Code Review Plugin or feature in VSTS which do code review based on defined templates and provide gates to approve Pull Request

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make it possible to manage TFVC branches from Web Interface, just like in Git repositories in TFS web interface

Presently, using Web Interface, we can only manages branches in Git repositories in TFS, but not in TFVC. For manage branches in TFVC either we have to use Command line interface, or Visual Studio.

Please make it possible to manage TFVC branches from Web Interface, so that the dependency upon Visual Studio or command line interface can be avoided.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Open CodeFlow for the entire change without a pull request

To create a code review, I have to create a pull request first. But if the change is not ready yet, I do not want to send the code review to everyone. i need a way to see the entire change, not just single commits.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. TFS - Selective commits in Pull Request

Problem – Each time we create a PR, all the changes(commits) comes pre-selected and we have to forcibly push them all together to the target System.

Need – We want to hand pick(cherry pick) the changes in the PR that are required to be pushed from source to target branch each time.

Test conducted on TFS so far -> We have carried out the attached test, and were successfully able to cherry pick one commit and have a PR created for it. But this does not meet our need fully, as we want to add multiple commits to one PR…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a 'Load all file diffs' to the commit details page

When I am looking for a particular line of code in a commit on the online portal, I would like to just CTRL+F the diff page to find that snippet. However, the file diffs load incrementally as I scroll down. In order to search the commit for a particular line, I have to scroll up and down until all of the files have loaded before using CTRL+F.

Adding this button to load all and a status indicator of how many files have been loaded (so I know when I can search) would be appreciated.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. "Unrequire" optional PR validation to allow auto-complete

Scenario:
    I have a bunch of optional validations running.
    One fails. I inspect it and it's not my fault.
    I want to still auto-complete once other validations finish, but auto-complete will never work anymore due to the failing validation.

I want a way to (e.g. in the context menu) remove/unrequire an optional validation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Feedback and Knowledge Base