Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Announcement: This forum has been migrated to provide you one convenient and responsive system for all feedback. You can now suggest new ideas, browse and vote on existing ideas in the Azure DevOps Developer Community. To learn more about the migration please check out the release blog post

We’d like your suggestions and ideas to help us continuously improve future releases of Azure DevOps and Team Foundation Server (TFS), so we’ve partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to collect your feedback. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

This site is for feature suggestions; if you need to file a bug, you can visit our Developer Community website to get started.

Note: your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy and license terms.

We look forward to hearing from you!
- The VSTS Team

How can we improve Azure DevOps?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Only reset Pull Request Votes when actual changes occur

Could we do some diff detection on new pushes to a pull request branch so as to not reset the votes when nothing has changed in the code contained within the PR?
    Right now this happens when someone merges an upstream branch into their feature to keep it up-to-date but there are 0 changes to the files they have checked out. (The only 'change' is in the PR's description.txt)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. filter by authors matching a pattern

When on the visual studio "commits" page for a given "git" branch. I want to be able to filter users by email address. For example, in an open source project worked on by many companies I may want to see all contributions from Microsoft (by filtering email by @microsoft.com).

In other words, on the commits page there is a drop down titled "author". What you type in the box causes the commits you see to be filtered by that author. However, I may not recall the exact name of a person. Perhaps I am looking for all commits by all…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make diff work for large text files

Working with a repository for text based configuration files that are 100-200MB. They can be converted to an XML equivalent but are still 100MB+ Currently when attempting to diff in the VSTS web client it will do the first few thousand lines but then it gives up after that.

Also it seems that search doesn't work for these large files either.

Being able to diff and search these large text files would be really nice.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Horizontal expand of vertical dropdown is hard to navigate

Note: This category is not right. I couldn't find something that matches.

I want to be able to go straight to the drop down menu item in a diagonal direction, however that will cause my cursor to go out of the expanded menu and collapse it. I am forced to go horizontal and then down to ensure it stays open.

See Blue path is ideal path, and Red is the path I have to take

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Clicking on the PullRequests button should always return to the PullRequests page.

If I am looking at a pull request, and then press the pull requests button, nothing happens in the browser (Edge). Instead I expect that it would take me back to the Pull Requests starting page and show me all of my pull requests.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support --shallow-since argument for git clone

Right now, trying to use "git clone --shallow-since=2018-07-07" for example gives an error of:

fatal: Server does not support --shallow-since
    fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Pull request configuration as code

Please add an option to configure Pull requests in the repo as code.

We can already configure CI builds and would be awesome to be capable of creating a .yml (.vsts/pr.yml for example) file to also configure pull request builds and other policies like reviewers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Show PDF as preview from git repo

As Reviewer
    I would like to have a preview of PDF files
    so that I don't have to checkout the files.

Additionally I would like to have in Code/Files view preview of PDF files like it is already today available for Markdown MD files.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Support repos for golang by providing a URL alias service on top of VSTS

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366084/support-repos-for-golang-by-providing-a-url-alias.html
    Because of underscores in the git repo URLs, VSTS repos can't be used for golang source packages. Full issue and potential solution in the following post.

https://ppanyukov.github.io/2017/02/01/golang-with-vsts-repos.html

Solution would be to enable an alias URL that could be used in go files.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Spend time from commit messages

It'd be great to have a way to spend time in a commit message. Something like "Spend 3h45m #454".

Discussion regarding a similar feature at GitLab. Looks like some VC tools offer this.
    https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/42540

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Create new work items from TODOs in commit messages

Sometimes I make a commit but notice a new issue or some technical debt while I'm doing it. To avoid breaking focus, it'd be great to create a new Bug using a TODO keyword. Something like this:

Commit Message: Change the foo function so the callback param is optional.

Description: TODO: Remove dependency on global var Bar.

And when I push this would create a new Bug called "Remove dependency on global var Bar" assigned to me with the commit as related work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Git Submodules View

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
    https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366082/git-submodules-view.html
    Instead of Showing the file that stores the commit hash show the referenced repository if the referenced repository is located inside of the same VSTS/TFS instance. If it is not pointing to a repository living inside of the same VSTS/TFS keep the old View.

If you then could also show the referenced Repository Name plus Commit to enable the user to transperantly see all included changes/the state of the submodule.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Branch Folder Location Defaults

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366081/branch-folder-location-defaults.html
    I've been following the Release Flow branching strategy (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/devops-at-microsoft/release-flow) successfully. It would be a nice feature to define "default" branch folder locations so that they can be specified when creating a new local (or remote) branch. For example, it is tedious to always have to enter "users/<username>/..." If I could specify defaults for a feature branch (users/<username>/..), a deployment branch (releases/...), etc. I know this example is specific to "Release Flow" but it could be generalized to allow users to specify…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. sort

VSTS - Git - Enable date sorting in Branches and Tags views.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 如果文件夹里的文件发生了变化,能在文件夹上体现吗?

像svn之类的项目管理工具,如果文件夹下文件发生了变化,则通过文件夹的图标就能了解,这个能添加吗?左图为git(vs自带),右图为visual svn插件

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Syntax highlighting for Haskell

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/366077/syntax-highlighting-for-haskell.html
    Hi,

Would be great if we have syntax highlight for Haskell

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change default pull request comment message to match with GIT conventions

The default comment message for pull requests should follow the GIT comment conventions. It should be in imperative mood, present tense, and not in past tense.

The commit message for a direct merge (such as use git merge command directly), the commit message is usually "Merge branch 'branchname'" or "Merge branch 'master' into branchname"

In GitHub, the default comment for pull request is like "Merge pull request #<pull request ID> from account/branch".

But in VSTS the default commit message for pull request is like "Merged PR <pull request ID>: branch1 to branch2".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add feature to use Git command filter-branch for creating new repository from sub folder

There is a nice way to create a new repository from a sub folder in a git repository. This allows you easily to filter out a sub folder and make a new repository out of it with ALL the history of the sub folder.

It would be nice to have an option to do that with the UI.

Suggestion:
    Add an option on a folder with the label "Create Repository from Folder". After clicking it it suggests the sub folder name a the new repository name, but you could edit it.
    On Submit VSTS takes care of creating a repository…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to change start of the week day in DatetimePicker

Ability to change start of the week day in DatetimePicker now it's Sunday and can't be changed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add New Comments/Activity Dots/Styling to "Active" Tab of Pull Request View using New UI

I'm using the new UI for VSTS Pull Requests in a Git repository, and it's not bad. However, the new comments/activity indicators are only present on the "Mine" tab. I'd like to see these on the "Active" tab as well so I can see if other PRs have changed even though I may not be actively participating (e.g. if I want to know what's happening/check if a PR impacts me).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Azure DevOps (formerly Visual Studio Team Services)

Feedback and Knowledge Base