Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow users to create their own custom templates for alerts in the TFS Web Portal

When working on large teams, developers may want to see those changes made to pull requests, builds, pushes, or work items that are assigned to or created by themselves and when someone else makes changes to them. While there is the ability to refine the current templates for each category to what a developer needs, out of the box, it can save us time if there are already templates there that we can choose when creating new alerts. I just had to create a refined alert for Pull Requests that notifies me when my request has been approved or rejected…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • add an "Schedule Offline" Button to "Manage Test Controller"

At the moment it is not possible to bring a Test Agent offline without killing the QTAgent process or catch him in Status ready to set him Offline

It would be great and save a lot of Time if the Test Controller sends no new Test request and set him offline (for debugging or maintenance)

18 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Ability to move the objects in the uimap.uitest from one parent control to other

At the moment uimap.uitest doest not have the ability to move the control to a different parent , having this would be useful when the object hirerachy in the application is changed

12 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • RegularExpression in SearchProperties

Hi!

I write an example which shows what i mean.
          I would like to find a window which has got a title with dynamic content.
          For example the next titles are the possible cases:
          1. "AAAAAAAA This is a window title ASDASDASD and this is the end"
          2. "BBBBBBBB This is a window title WSDWSDWSD and this is the end too"
          3. "CCCCCCCC This is a window title ASDASDASD and this is the end or not"
          4. "........ This is a window title ASDASDASD"

I would like to find the 2. title.
          If i could use regex, i use the…

15 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Chinese Localization Support on VSTS - 请在VSTS上支持使用中文

Now that VSTS has landed in Hong Kong China, I think it will be a great time to add Chinese Localization support. Chinese Language support is very important for most of Chinese developers.

现在VSTS已经在中国香港落地,中国大陆的大量开发人员非常关心我们是否可以获得中文的操作界面,能够有完整的中文支持对于VSTS在中国(包括中国大陆/台湾/香港地区)非常重要,而且我相信海外的华人developer也会更希望使用自己最熟悉的语言。

请广大的中国开发者都来投上你宝贵的一票,尽快争取这个功能在VSTS获得支持。

谢谢大家!

54 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Dark Theme for VSTS and TFS Web Portal

Many of Microsoft's products, including Office and Visual Studio, support a dark theme which is easier on the eyes. However, for some reason, VSTS and the TFS Web Portal do not have a dark theme.

At my workplace, we do our peer review through the web portal, so I spend many long hours staring at the bright white backgrounds. It would be amazing for my poor burnt eyes if we could get a dark theme. I'm sure many others agree.

175 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

17 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow Web Performance Tests to be run from Test Explorer/Support Ordered Tests

One of the main reasons I use VS2010 is to run batches of Ordered Tests that contain Web Performance Tests.

In VS2012, I cannot run Web Performance Tests using the new Test Explorer and running them through the Load Test menu doesn't give me any real control over grouping them.

Either of the following options would be great:
                1. Allow Ordered Tests containing Web Tests to be run from Test Explorer
                2. Allow Ordered Tests containing Web Tests to be run via the Load Test menu
                3. Allow some other ability to group together Web Tests and run them

17 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Implementing security alerts for dependencies

It would be great to have monitoring for security vulnerabilities in project dependencies like GitHub does. Ref: https://github.com/blog/2470-introducing-security-alerts-on-github

28 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Web Test - VS 2012 - Add Proxy Authentication information for Web Proxy

In Web performance test (VS 2012), we have the option to add proxy information at the root of the webtest, but there is no option to specify the proxy authentication due to which the web test fails "Request failed: The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required. "

Request you to add a option which can handle proxy authentication information along with proxy for the webtest as most of the proxy use authentication.

Regards,
                    Suresh Khurpa

15 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add spesial permitions for deliting tests, tests cases and tests suites

Our work process assumes that no employee can delete work items. All deletions are controlled through tickets. For most people that is ok, but not for testers. They create series of dependent test suites \(looks like subfolders to them) and need to delete them often. However, those "subfolders" basically are work items, and they can be deleted only if you have permission "permanently delete work items" which can be assigned only at PROJECT level. This is not possible to restrict users to delete work items or test artifacts in specific areas. "Manage test plans" and "manage test suites" permissions are…

31 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support AsOf operator (historical queries) for tree queries

TFS/VSTS supports AsOF operators for running historical queries - but not for Tree queries by some reason.

Please add support for using the AsOf operator for Tree queries.

18 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow specifying state transitions when using inheritance process

Current behavior:
                          A work item type has pre-defined states. More states can be added.

When using the On-premises XML process model:
                          1. Valid transitions can be defined. For example, State A to B is allowed, but state A to C is not allowed.
                          2. Transitions can be restricted to specific users. For example, State A to B is only allowed to members of group 'Approvers'.

When using the Inheritance process model in VSTS:
                          You can define a custom rule. However, these do not support State fields.
                          1. Valid transitions can be defined. But you cannot configure valid state transitions.
                          However:…

14 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow git push to remote protected master branch using path rules

Currently, a git repo master branch with any policies at all is considered protected which means we can't push to remote without permission to exempt from policy enforcement (bad idea.)

We have repos with paths for which any pull request at all is overhead. We also have a tool which builds SQL migrations between a previous commit and a squashed merge commit from a pull request. The migrations themselves are stored in the repo and associated to the merge commit id which means they must be exempted from going through pull requests otherwise it creates a neverending cycle where each…

12 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Separate rights for work item discussion

Hi,

we would found very userful to be able specify group that will be able to contribute to discussion under work item, but not be able to edit any other information included in work item. Currently, rights can be set only to edit everything or nothing.

Br,
                              Jan

11 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Provide possibility to change behavior of moving Stories with tasks to another sprint (only unfinished OR all)

Actually, it is a big disappointment of our team regarding the changes you've done regarding the behavior of moving ONLY unfinished tasks inside stories to another sprint.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-visual-studio-team-services/suggestions/4176023-moving-unfinished-tasks-from-past-sprint-to-curren

OMG, guys!
                                We worked with scenario before changes (when all child elements move to another sprints independent of state) and it is totally suited us and our process.

No, we are not happy. Worst - we have no even possibility to change it back... (((
                                I would not discuss the process we work and the process you supported from Pros and Const point of view, BUT why do you force to use…

17 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• pull request should provide the reviewer a way to mark/tag files reviewed

When reviewing a significant (20+) amount of files, I sometimes do the review in several steps and not in one go. Or I have to jump from files to files to understand the logic.
                                  In this case, unless you start from top to bottom and remember where you stop, you can get lost and confused easily, and just forget about what you did review and what you have not reviewed yet.
                                  It would be nice to have a way, for a review, to mark files "reviewed" so that when he comes back, he knows where he stopped.
                                  This has nothing…

9 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Create policy to auto cherry pick

It would be useful to be able to define a policy on one branch forcing the creation of a cherry pick to another branch.

For example, we would like to automatically create a cherry pick from our fix branches to our main development branch.

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Version Control (Git/TFVC)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Creating a detailed test report showing results of test case steps and bugs associated to the test cases failed

Should be possible extract a detailed Test Report per Test plan to send to stockholders with the following information:
                                      - Worksheet with Test Cases and respective Outcome (Pass / Failed / Active)
                                      - Worksheet with the detailed test cases and results
                                      - Include in failed Test Cases associated bugs
                                      - If bug will be fixed in next release, have a place in report to indicate that
                                      - Worksheet with Smoke Tests performed
                                      - Worksheet with ExploratoryTests performed

8 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make the path selector field larger

In the build definition editor: when you choose the path for the triggers the field is too small for a decent selection; if the path is too long you don't see the entire path; you have to wait for the tooltip which is very annoying if you 20 different paths to select so we have to use the REAT API to set/edit the paths.

On the right side there's a lot of unused space.

9 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Print or export document from Wiki functionality

it would be useful if the new Wiki would allow you to export documents or print them. Our team is using them to create project documentation and user guides it would be useful to be able to publish these to say a PDF document.

78 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Wiki  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 149 150
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base