Visual Studio Team Services

Welcome to the Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) and Team Foundation Server (TFS) UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for VSTS (cloud) and TFS (host yourself). You can also add suggestions for the Visual Studio IDE or Visual Studio Code. Or go to Developer Community to file a VSTS or TFS bug.

You might also be interested in our Features timeline to see what features are under development and which features we completed.
We also added an Announcements section where we will be posting special opportunities for you to participate in.

Read about current UserVoice statuses and their definitions in our article “What Does the Status of My Feedback Mean?” article.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The VSTS team
Terms of Service and Privacy Policy

How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

1,695 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

66 comments  ·  Administration & Licensing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling the ability to move projects between collections is a feature that we’re committed to delivering. Since this feature is so highly requested, I’d like to provide some additional details behind why this has been pushed out.

Simply put the issue is the cost to complete this feature. One way to think of it is that it’s XXXL in T-shirt sizing. A Team Project Collection (TPC) is a pretty rigid bounding container. It‘s the scope at which a number of “global” things exist.

One such example is change set numbers. They start at 1 and count up in each TPC. That means projects in a TPC can’t have overlapping change set numbers. It also means that if you wanted to move TFVC projects between TPCs, you have to renumber all the change sets. That’s exacerbated by a requirement that change set numbers be time ordered. That means…

• Provide build configuration dependencies in TFS Build

Provide the ability to create build configuration dependencies such that the success of one build configuration can trigger another build configuration such as a successful build triggering the building of an installation package or a build configuration which deploys to a development or staging server. Other tools such as Cruise Control.Net and Jetbrains TeamCity already offer build configuration dependencies/build configuration triggering through various means, therefore, TFS Build should also provide this type of support.

1,022 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  63 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow for updating process templates on existing projects in TFS

To keep up with improving processes, there needs to be a migration path for existing templates to be upgraded to new templates. Some information in work items may be lost when mapping these to new work item types of the new templates, but this may well worth the benefits of moving to a newer process. Creating a new team project is not always feasible, especially if the source code versioning needs to be in place.

978 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unfortunately we have had to make the decision to not bring the new Inheritance model to TFS on-prem with the next major release. It was a tough decision that we didn’t take lightly. The scope cuts that we had to make in order to deliver it to on-prem were just too painful, and would not give the User Experience we would be proud of.

We are still planning to bring it to our on-prem customers in a future release of TFS.

Sorry for not having a better answer.

Ewald Hofman
          VSTS/TFS Program Manager

• TFBuild 2015: Run sheduled build only when source has changed

In the new Team Foundation Build 2015 (https://msdn.microsoft.com/Library/vs/alm/Build/feature-overview) we can either add CI triggers that trigger a build with every check-in or we have the Scheduled triggers. It would be nice to have an option in the Scheduled Triggers that it only runs if there were changes since the last run (new ChangeSet).
          We could use this since we build our Xamarin app with the new build server and publish it to the alpha track in the PlayStore, but we only want to do this once a day and only if there were changes since the last build.

145 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Only download artifacts required for task execution

Please add a configuration option for a release definition to force agents to only download artifacts that are required for task execution.

Currently, all artifacts are downloaded. For large releases, this could be hundreds of megs or even GBs. If my release def only uses 1 artifact, only that artifact should be downloaded.

See details here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36559528/prevent-unnecessary-artifact-download-when-using-release-management

68 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Release Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
              Thanks for the suggestion. After a gap, we’ve started looking into this again. We’re thinking of providing a setting for every phase to specify the set of artifacts that is required for execution of the phase, and ignore the rest.
              That way, within a definition, you can optimize the download of artifacts to only required one for each phase.
              Let us know if this is inline with the expectations.
              Thanks
              Shashank
              Visual Studio PM

• Build support for external submodules that require authentication

Submodules work in the new build system in TFS/VSTS 2015 however, they either need to come from repos in the same team project or from repos that are anonymously accessible.

This suggestion is split from "Add submodule support in Visual Studio Git Extension" (http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/330519-team-services/suggestions/3606383-add-submodule-support-in-visual-studio-git-extensi)

52 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make Library Variable Groups available for use in Build Definitions

Currently, documentation (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/release/author-release-definition/more-release-definition#variables) for Variables feature states:

"Share values across all of the build and release definitions in a project by using variable groups. Choose a variable group when you need to use the same values across all the build definitions, release definitions, environments, and tasks in a project, and you want to be able to change the values in a single place."

However, Variable Groups defined in the Library for Project cannot be used for Build Definitions. Only for Release Definitions.
                https://twitter.com/cvbarros/status/817445291163086848

I'd love this feature to be extended to support Build Definitions as well.

35 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  CI (Build)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • prerelease field for nuget packager

The NuGet packager has an option to "Use Build number to version Package". Could we have an additional field which will append a suffix to the resultant version number allowing for PreRelease packages too. e.g. 1.2.3.4-alpha, 1.2.3.4-beta.
                  That way we can have various configurations producing different packages. i.e. Debug build = prerelease and release build = release.

18 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Add filter to only show Active User Stories on Task Board

Right now on the Task Board there is no way to limit your view; so even though I can watch my WIP limits on the KANBAN board, and make sure only a limited number of stories are Active, when I switch over to the Task Board view, ALL user stories are present; this is wasteful as the team will still SEE EVERTHING - rather that only the Active stories and the related Tasks. Adding a simple filter to only show Active User Stories on the Task Board will make the KANBAN and Task Boards interoperate.

12 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Ability to Permanently Delete Test Plan / Test Suite

We are currently using TFS 2015 Update 3.

Creating a Test Plan creates 2 Work Items, 1 of type Test Plan and 1 of type Test Suite.

If we delete the Test Plan from the Iteration, the 2 associated Test Plan / Test Suite Work Items are not deleted.

We can't delete either Test Plan / Test Suite Work Item and we can't restore them. They are now unusable.

Attempting to delete using witadmin destroywi command fails with the following warning and error:
                      Warning: This command is obsolete in TFS2015 Update 2 and later. You can permanently delete work items…

9 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Test  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • NuGet Packager: Load major/minor/patch version number from nuspec

In NuGet Packager I like the option to use 'Automatic package versioning', but I don't like how it requires that I enter a Major, Minor, and Patch version numbers directly into the task. Instead, I would like it to use the Major, Minor, and Patch version numbers **from the nuspec file** and simply postfix the generated package version number. That way I can change the version number in one spot, in code, instead of remembering to change it in two places (code & build).

8 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Expand/Collapse All feature on Task Board

I would like to have the Expand/Collapse feature in the task board similar to what is already available in the backlog

6 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add task to promote packages for release management

The release views of package management is great. However, it is still a manual process to promote packages to any defined release views. There should be a task that can be part of a release definition that could promote a package after deploying it.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Include Blank/Empty TFS Process Template

Please include a blank / empty TFS Process Template.

I am looking for a simple, easy to use Version Control system which supports the "Lock, Modify, Unlock" approach to Version Control.

Out of the box, TFS is way to heavy weight.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Item Tracking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Queries joining work items and build test results

In our attempt at a more BDD approach, in addition to test pass/fail reporting on our CI and deploy builds, we would like to report on the number or % of test cases with respect to user story for which are run in each level of tests CI (automated fast) deploy (automated slow) or manual. Basically we are looking for a live traceability matrix.

We can see that it is possible to link the test cases with the MsTests in the code using the tcm tool, but we do not see a way to report the test results with respect…

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dashboards and Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Side-by-side end and preview views on Wiki

It would be great to be able to toggle a side-by-side edit/preview on the wiki.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Wiki  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Please make packages (Nuget, Maven, ...) searchable

It's very hard to know what packages are available to consume given many individual, small repositories. Please provide a search interface for that. thanks

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Package Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base