How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Change Pull Request Target Branch

It would be great to be able to change the target branch of a pull request. Sometimes a pull request is simply opened against the wrong branch. Other times, the comments and discussion resolve in wishing to integrate with a different branch prior to promoting to the original target.

143 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Maxwell Bloch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be so much easier and cleaner than having to abandon and make a new one since that loses all the code review history as well. I find this happening multiple times a month.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This would greatly simplify my workflow when changes need to be promoted from "scheduled for next release" to "critical release." Currently that requires abandoning the existing pull request and creating a new one just to skip our prerelease branch. If we could directly move pull requests between the two branches, it would be much better.

• Peter Kurlak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having this feature prevents taking advantage of the true power of the Git workflow: being able to work on and receive reviews for multiple things at once. Before I knew of this limitation, I created a PR against a branch other than master. It was awesome! My coworkers were able to provide feedback on code that depended on another branch not yet in master. After some dialog, they approved my changes. When I had received all my approvals and the owner was ready to review, I suddenly discovered this problem. Now I had to "throw" away a perfectly good PR and create a new one against master. The comments and approvals obviously did not transfer. Thus, I had to ping everyone that had previously approved the code to do so AGAIN (developers hate repetition), and then the code's owner had to reference the previous PR. And what if he wanted to add comments? Should they go on the previous PR or the new PR? What a mess. This needs to be fixed ASAP!

• Vivek A Maharajh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My use case involves working on a new pull request that depends on the commits of an existing pull request.

I create a pull request from branch A into master.

While it is being reviewed, I start working on a change that depends on the commits in A, so I create a new branch B based on A. I now create a pull request from branch B into branch A. I never intend to merge into branch A — I intend on merging into master **after** the initial pull request is merged into master.

After the initial pull request completes, I'd like to change the target branch for the second pull request to be master.

• Sean Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seconded, for want of correcting an error or adapting to late-breaking evolution

Feedback and Knowledge Base