How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Change Pull Request Target Branch

It would be great to be able to change the target branch of a pull request. Sometimes a pull request is simply opened against the wrong branch. Other times, the comments and discussion resolve in wishing to integrate with a different branch prior to promoting to the original target.

405 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Maxwell Bloch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm happy that this will be implemented. Will it also be possible to update/rebase PR on current target branch?

A workaround (ex PR on target branch "target-branch") would be to:
        1. create a new branch identical to target branch "target-branch2"
        2. Change Pull Request Target Branch to "target-branch2"
        3. Change Pull Request Target Branch back to "target-branch"

But that would be tedious, so please consider this use case as well.. :)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was people cheering in the office when they got the notification about this having started / being scheduled for Q3. Thanks.

• Y.S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great!! Many instances we needed to change the target branch.

It would be nice to be able to view different repositories in a single view

• Greg L. Wright (3M) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 bump, for us this goes many ways, by mistake, but more typically, by having to put a private branch (review) onto a feature branch, or more.

• Albert Stimson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is part of our basic workflow, not just needed when a dev makes a mistake. When a pull request misses a deadline for a code freeze, it generally needs to target a different branch. Redoing all of the documentation, comments, and attached work items after abandoning the pull request is not ideal.

• Benjamin Gare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get a target date for this? I have to change the target branch OFTEN in my daily work since some Pull Requests have a longer review process.

• James Chorlton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any news on this Microsoft? Found my way here whilst googling how to do it in VSTS, not a great thing that the top google result tells you that you cant do it.

• Lee Richardson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait, so if I have stacked PR's I have to delete and resubmit downstream PR's when an upstream one gets merged?! All the comments and dialog gets deleted?! I just moved from github and assumed this was a standard feature. And this has been a feature request for 2 years?! Poorly done VSTS.

• Brian Kelley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an especially useful feature for stacked Pull Requests. PR 2 depends on PR 1. Both are created and PR 2 is targeted to PR 1's branch for diffing purposes. PR 1 is completed and merged to master, then PR 2 is updated to target to master and completed.

• Eric Ralhan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a basic feature in contemporary git source control tools. And as this was raised back in 2015, I don't think it's in backlogs items. This is why I prefer open source over MS.
        Cheers.

• Josh Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chiming in to this thread to request this feature as well. We've run into this exact issue several times already. Would love to be able to change the target branch instead of abandoning the PR and losing the comment history in the process.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base