How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Export data from VS Team Services to TFS

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365531/export-data-from-vs-team-services-to-tfs.html
possibility to import the data from VS Team Service into a TFS on-prem instance

256 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminVisual Studio Team (Product Team, Microsoft Visual Studio) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff Raymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Management request that feature for security reasons. They will reject VSTS (now Azure DevOps, a SaaS solution) and prefer a PaaS solution so they can georeplicate all the data on-prem. Now, the question is : why would we choose to deploy TFS in a cloud provider instead of on-prem in our own datacenter? Not having this feature is a nogo for devops SaaS solution with Azure DevOps. Disapointing.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without a way to export all of our data back into the company and use a local TFS again my managment will not alllow even a test of VSTS... I can not believe that this feature is not availible from the first version...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have done a test migration. Sounds good. But without a export feature, it doesn't work! We can't proceed in the migration, without export functionality!

• Amita Nayyar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi , I need help to extract the user stories and tasks out of Visual Studio Online , so I can import the data in an ALM tool. I need to extract in XML format. Is there a easy way to do this?

• Simon Gymer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What we've done to allow migration to VSTS is run a scheduled task that does a nightly get latest on the entire source which then gets compressed into a zip and stuck in a backup archive.

It's not the same as having a database we can restore to an on-site TFS server, but it at least means we keep a copy of the source every night.

• Jibran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely important to gain higher management confidence to move from on premises to VSTS.
        You should be able to take backup locally as well

I cannot imagine migrating to VSTS online if I'm not sure I can go back to a on premise solution if needed. Or even keep a 'At home' backup.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really bad. I am 99% of the way through the migration process but now unsure whether management will approve this without a rollback plan.

• Mihir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS A MUST HAVE FEATURE!!

I appreciate that the team is very busy but this is the basic feature which should be made available from the very first day. This is the only show stopper not only for us but a lot other organisations to migrate to team services! Making this feature available will attract a good bulk of organisations to migrate.

Is there any plans for this to be made available in the near future? Or should we just stop dreaming of moving to Team Services? A quick answer will be appreciated.

• Mark Bain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only reason we are not using VS Team Services, and have opted to run on-premises TFS in an Azure VM. We would far rather use VS Team Services, but it is unacceptable to the business that our project work items etc are 'trapped'.

• ListerD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, this is a critical feature to have available. Management is reluctant to move to a cloud-based solution that we cannot easily back out of, even to Microsoft's own on-prem solution. Need this ASAP

I am studying for MCSD in ALM. For the two first exams (software testing and delivering value via TFS) I got by using VS Team Services. For the "TFS administration", however, I need to learn how to set it all up from ground zero and then I need to actually have some data in my collection so I can learn to create customized reports etc. I already have quite an extensive amount of work in my collection that lives in VS Team Services. It would save me lots of time and effort to be able to bring it all into TFS.

I need this feature yesterday, now I have to either ***** away at data entry or waste a week building a tool I am only going to use once.... I don't understand how this is not already a feature?!?

• James Bristow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would have liked to have seen a VSTS to TFS migration path implemented already. Unfortunately, it is probably too late for my current project. Many business activities (split, merge, collaborations, direction change, etc.) have an impact on source control. Companies should be able to export their information from VSTS at any time using a supported solution to support these activities. It also makes sense for TFS to support the import of VSTS exports. Even thought I love TFS, had I control over the decision at the time of VSTS's implementation, the lack of this feature would have made me look elsewhere.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base