How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Scheduled builds - More flexible timing configuration

This suggestion is migrated to Developer Community. Please use below link to view the current status.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/365630/scheduled-builds-more-flexible-timing-configuratio.html
The UI for defining time-based build triggers isn't flexible enough. It can only support fixed times on days of the week.
How about;
- Run a job on specifc day of the month (first, last, etc) - at a given time
- Run a job each hour, or two hours (can be done but would require adding 24 timings to the existing UI)
- Run job on day related timings - e.g. first Monday of month, last Wednesday

The CRON timing syntax is powerful (although admittedly hard to read/define)

54 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ziloni shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for such feature as it would help to run our pipelines which we also use for automatic reporting on weekly / monthly basis.

• Michal Kaminetsky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be great to have ability to schedule by cron.
        This will support all schedule configuration, even if UI is not supplied.
        At the moment, I seek and option of triggering release every few mins/hrs.
        I would also would like to have ability to trigger release to start in after some waiting period.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are finding that VSTS builds are useful for running Docker containers on a schedule, as a replacement for Windows scheduled tasks, with the benefits of centralized logging and notifications. Having simple recurring scheduling options (daily, hourly, minutely) would make this much easier to use.

• Bruce Leggett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, it would be GREAT if individual builds could be scheduled. For example, schedule a single QA build when the team is at lunch so it doesn't impact testing efforts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, there can have flexible settings (such as per month) for schedule. And the release and deployment triggered schedule should also have these settings.

• SrhSloan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really useful to have this on releases as well. ie I want to release on 23rd November at 4pm, rather than schedule it for every thursday and then forget to remove the schedule after the one scheduled release you want.

• Jens Hykkelbjerg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add that it would be nice if the priority of a build could be set in the build definition.

Another thing I would like to see is to have a rolling build that Schedules at most one build at a time and Waits X minutes after last successful build before a new build is scheduled.
        (If a build fails, I would like the next build to start immediately, since the next checkin often is a bug fix for the issue that caused the build to fail)

Feedback and Knowledge Base