How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Restore "Missing" TFS Power Tools functionality in VS/TFS 2017

With the removal TFS Power Tools for the 2017 release there are some significant features absent from Visual Studio 2017.

Find by status (server workspaces) allowing you to search for a users checkouts.

On the command line: online, scorch and treeclean don't appear to have any equivalents. These commands are very useful when automating the import/export of objects to or from TFS.

346 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

OraDotNet Dev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For the Find by Status feature, we’re working on an extension to add this capability back to VS. We don’t yet have an ETA for the availability, but I’ll update here when it’s ready.

For tfpt online, scorch, and treeclean, the functionality has been replaced by tf reconcile. If you use tfpt {command} /help, you’ll see a message about the specific options to use to get equivalent functionality with tf reconcile.

Tfpt uu doesn’t have a replacement in tf.exe. The old tfpt commands should continue to work against newer versions of TFS and VSTS.

Thanks,
    Matt Mitrik
    Program Manager | VSTS

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Carrie Kistner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, any progress on the search by status and wildcard? I just started using VS 2017, and I'm very annoyed that the feature is not available anymore. I use the search often and don't like having to go back to VS 2015 to find something.

• Sophie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I have to open VS2013 every time I need to undo any of my user's pending changes. Maybe someone else could code this up as an extension and publish it if Microsoft is not going to do it. But could someone please let us know the plan even if the plan is not to implement this for VS2017?

• Koen Verbeeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the status of this? It's 2018 and it's apparently impossible to easily find checked out items by another user (let alone undo those checkouts) through the GUI.

• Brian Welsh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The other part of this which is missing is the PowerShell snapin, Microsoft.TeamFoundation.PowerShell. I have an entire library written for auditing purposes that are now broken because the snapin is now missing. I have 2 unacceptable options; 1) install VS2015 just so I can run my scripts, 2) rewrite the scripts to use native the API or REST API.

• Edward Butler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is reconcile added by powertools 2017? Or is it just a default feature of VS2017? To call the documentation for reconcile sparse would be an understatement.

• Marc Sigrist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need back the UndoUnchanged command. For example, in large solutions, modifying the NuGets of a single project will mark all app.config files as changed even when this is not true. Manually undoing all this **** costs a lot of time and money!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New laptop, and I have to install VS 2015 SO I CAN RUN FIND BY STATUS/WILDCARD??? Yes, that was yelling. Crying out loud, people - don't you realize how important that is?

• Greg V. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bah! I see I am not alone...

Have to hold onto my old workstation with VS2010 instance just so to do the "Find by Status/Wildcard". Not good.

• Andrew Stanton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is the unshelve to a different branch? The workaround of manually comparing files and moving changes is a real pain.

• Rich Ott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use "tfpt uu" all the time and I hate having to install Visual Studio 2015 just for this single command line utility. Are there plans to port it over to tf.exe or is there another way to get this functionality without a UI-based extension (i.e. TFS Source Control Explorer Extension for VS 2017)?

• Tracy H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of find by wildcard is a deal breaker. We have over 36k SQL scripts in a single TFS branch. Finding one is, cumbersome at best, impossible at worst, without this feature.

• F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am missing the Shell Extensions for Windows Explorer

• MD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Serious? We still have to wait on these? I still have VS2015 installed JUST so i can do a search by wildcard with it...

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base