How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Restore "Missing" TFS Power Tools functionality in VS/TFS 2017

With the removal TFS Power Tools for the 2017 release there are some significant features absent from Visual Studio 2017.

Find by status (server workspaces) allowing you to search for a users checkouts.

On the command line: online, scorch and treeclean don't appear to have any equivalents. These commands are very useful when automating the import/export of objects to or from TFS.

192 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

OraDotNet Dev shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

For the Find by Status feature, we’re working on an extension to add this capability back to VS. We don’t yet have an ETA for the availability, but I’ll update here when it’s ready.

For tfpt online, scorch, and treeclean, the functionality has been replaced by tf reconcile. If you use tfpt {command} /help, you’ll see a message about the specific options to use to get equivalent functionality with tf reconcile.

Tfpt uu doesn’t have a replacement in tf.exe. The old tfpt commands should continue to work against newer versions of TFS and VSTS.

Thanks,
    Matt Mitrik
    Program Manager | VSTS

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gavin Huet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Searching by comment "searchcs" has no equivalent in VS2017. We need to be able to search the check in comment as we put in external reference numbers there to tie up with our ticket system.

• John Lichina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The missing "Find by status" and "Find by Wildcard" is something I use almost everyday and having it not available is a tremendous hole in functionality(Huge step backwards). Please bring this back as quickly as possible,

• Colby Tait commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will be blunt here. Why in the **** did you drop these features? TFS is already looked at by a good half the dev population as a toy, so to yank Explorer extensions and important command line support, which Subversion has had since it was a toddler, gives the impression that Microsoft is forgetting something. TFS is still a toy so don't take away features, keep them and improve. It doesn't matter how great your work management, build, and Online features are, you are forgetting about the class of users that actually have to do the work: developers, developers, developers.

• Joe Amenta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"The old tfpt commands should continue to work against newer versions of TFS and VSTS." -- this is mostly working for me fine, but apparently in some cases, "tfpt unshelve /migrate ..." is giving me "Unable to determine the workspace." even though "tf workfold" finds it just fine.

• Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on the availability/time-frame of "Find by Status" functionality. TFS is all about visibility!

• Eric T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"windows eplorer integration" and "tfpt unshelve /migrate" are missing in TFS 2017

• Travis Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Explorer shell is critical. Find by status is critical. I am starting to question my loyalty to the Microsoft stack when you keep taking things away trying to force us "to the cloud". After dropping support for UML diagrams and the integration with TFS work items it provided, I think I should start looking at other stacks. Stop taking things away. Stop updating Visual Studio and the .net framework every single week.

• Jake B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Tfpt uu doesn’t have a replacement in tf.exe. The old tfpt commands should continue to work against newer versions of TFS and VSTS."

This should be more prominent in the documentation (because it was stated that ALL functionality excluding the Process Template Editor would be integrated into the core TFS product and into TF.exe), and also in the marketplace listings for TFS Power Tools 2015 (that it is compatible with TFS 2017).

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base