How can we improve Azure DevOps?

Dont add the default team as reviewer when doing a pull request

When doing a pull request the default team in Team Services is added as reviewer by default. When you have multiple team (which I assume is the most common case), this makes little sense as you cant even select which VSTS team you are working in in Visual Studio. Why adding a team when working in Visual Studio most likely always will be the wrong team (unless you only have a single team).

As you can see in
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/git/pull-requests#add-detail-to-your-pull-request
that "[Fabrikam]\Fabrikam Team" is added by default.

Please change Visual Studio pull requests to not add any team by default.

If you do want to add a team/group or users you rather specify them as in
https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/git/branch-policies#automatically-add-reviewers

451 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pär Zebergs Brånedal shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Amit Garg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have added auto reviewer as group as well as individual in master branch policy but when we are making pull request. it is still showing project team by default as reviewer in the creation of Pull request. Please suggest... how can we remove by default project team as reviewer and added our created group or individual as reviewer ASAP

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still seeing this behavior when creating pull requests. Is there anything I need to do to start leveraging the new feature which doesn't add reviewers by default?

• Jesse Cates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Daniel Odom, you can already set it to automatically include anyone as a reviewer for all PRs. If you are using the new version that doesn't automatically add the default team as a reviewer, you can still add the default team as an automatically added reviewer, and it will have basically the same effect. The only difference is that the person creating the PR can't remove the "automatically added" reviewer at all, but I think in most cases, that's what you'd want.

• Daniel Odom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see a "one size fits all" solution to this issue as it primarily will depend on the organization using VSTS, how their teams are organized and the size of the projects among other factors.

I think that making this configurable is the better way to go, and maybe have some different preset configuration options available out of the box, but also give you the ability customize the settings and/or create your own "configurations" that you can reuse.

With all of this said, I can also see that something like this could cause configuration overload, but there has to be a balance out there.

• Marc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still no update on it? It looks like started since February... Really annoying also here!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the Same issue, would like to see this where we can change from the default group.

We are having the same issue. We have a created a VSTS group for reviewers and do not want to have the all the other developers getting loads of emails because of the code review.

• Jyotsna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Any update on this. We are getting tons of emails. There should be an option to remove the default reviewer.

• Omer Raviv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, the default behavior here just does not make sense for any team larger than 5, I would say, and the fact it's not configurable makes this a burden.

Hi,
    Any updates on this one? It says 'Started', but any ETA? This is so annoying, why was it even put like this in the first place?

This one is super annoying. We've got a larger team that gets re-organized from time to time so we dont want to create a ton of individual projects with explicit repo ownership. I'd rather force someone to type in the reviewers they want to add, than ever default to a specific set.

• Muazzam Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a code review policy and require a minimum of 2 people to approve the pull request. This default behavior is causing issues with it and any two people who are not involved in the project can approve and mess up the master branch. Please allow us to remove this default team option from reviewers list.

For me, the required reviewers for the branch policy are not being added at all. Just the default team for the project.

Ive just created a new team and moved all non approvers to that as a work around

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base