How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

2,344 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Visual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are committed to supporting the ability to move projects between collections, however we’ve been unable to make progress on this feature. Unfortunately, the challenges highlighted in earlier posts are still present.
    I don’t foresee us making progress on this feature within the next 6 months. We will provide an update once we start planning for the second half of 2019.

Whitney Jenkins
    Azure DevOps Program Manager

109 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff Flager commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait a second, I got an email update that there was a notification of an update. We'll let's see here. First planned for second half of 2016 then 2017, then mid 2017, then second half of 2018, and now second half of 2019.

So let me get this straight. First requested on July 14, 2011 and now 8 years later MSFT might possible be considering this feature? What are you guys doing over there...besides renaming the product multiple times.

https://imgur.com/a/s2mWxS9

• John Saunders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently read about Azure DevOps being the replacement for VSTS. I didn't see any mention of TFVC. Perhaps that's how they plan to address this problem?

• Randy in Marin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time might be better spent migrating to GIT. We still use TFVC, but I see now that migrations would have been easier if our many team projects used GIT. I want to combine and move them. Looks like GIT is able to do this already. Now, to move to GIT....

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a large enterprise and urgently need this feature - even if highly compromised. Anything to help. Our situation is complicated by the VSTS instances all being backed with separate Azure AD's.

• Tim Sexton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes acquisitions very difficult especially when you cannot transfer visual studio developer subscriptions. There is a GIT code migration utility from one account to another, so why not the same for work items???

• Josh Gerstein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Whitney Jenkins - I don't mean want this comment to come across as snarky, honestly I just would like more information from you on whether the work to build this feature is still on hold or if this work has made the cut for the planning of the second half of 2018.

I just checked by watch and it's July 8, 2018 so it's been exactly 180 days since your post, that's exactly 26 weeks, and ~ 5 months. http://www.howlongagogo.com/date/2018/january/9

And in looking at my calendar July is the second half of 2018 so I imagine the planning for this feature has already taken place, is that correct? So are the engineering teams plans for the next 6 months to include the work on this feature?

If that's not the case can you please post the promised update and provide more information and a roadmap for when this highly requested feature may be planned to be worked on and then hopefully delivered to us your customers?

You stated "We will provide an update once we start planning for the second half of 2018." so please provide the update and let us know where things stand.

• JCA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update?, to be able to move a team project with history into another collection would be ideal...
        as per original post request abc.visualstudio.com to xyz.visualstudio.com

• Michael Bürschgens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I started work at my current employer a few years ago I got issued a Visual Studio licence and in the installation process I was asked for my Windows Live credentials.

Now, about 3 years later, tons of my employer's code is stored in my personal Microsoft account.

What if I want to leave the company? The whole, totally broken concept of linking everything to one's personal Microsoft account that Microsoft has been pushing for years now has created a real problem with no solution.

• Mihai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have many projects in one Collection in TFS. I need to move just one project from TFS to VSTS. The rest of projects must stay in TFS as archived.
        I read in comments below that it is not possible to migrate just one project from TFS to VSTS. If I am wrong and things had changed before my comment, please let me know.

I described what we need under this link: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/252480/how-to-specify-the-project-to-migrate-from-tfs-to.html.

• Brad Riddoch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is needed by us for archiving old projects. Please spend some time working on this for us.

Thank you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature urgently for archiving old TFS projects. Our database is growing too fast.

• Greg Read commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been asking for this feature for years. We were actually hoping to migrate many of our older TFS projects to an archive collection with the idea we would reduce the database footprint of our primary TFS collection. This would allow us to migrate the data to VS online easier over the course of a weekend (decrease migration time).

• David M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am with everyone else, we currently have a third party writing code for us and we need to get a copy of their project. Without this I may have to resort to writing my own code to attempt to do this, but not sure that I can get all the date/time entries and all the comments associated to their users in the same way that they are in the current site.

• Scott M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature... We sometimes start projects for Clients using our account. Once the project obtains maturity and approval to proceed, they then want the project moved under their their account. Unfortunately, we have to tell them it will need to be manually done. Neither of us likes that outcome.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base