How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

make it possible to move a Team Project between Team Project Collections

Currently you need to move an existing Team Project to a new Team Project Collection. I would like a feature to move Team Project between Team Project Collections without using TFS Integration Toolkit or other 3rd party tools.

1,975 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Visual Studio ALM Team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are still committed to delivering the ability to move projects between collections, however we’ve been unable to make additional progress on this feature. The challenges highlighted in the earlier post are still present and unfortunately this work is still on hold. We recognize this is a highly requested / needed feature, however I don’t foresee us making additional progress on this feature within the next 6 months. We will provide an update once we start planning for the second half of 2018.

Best,

Whitney Jenkins
    TFS & VSTS Program Manager

90 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am with everyone else, we currently have a third party writing code for us and we need to get a copy of their project. Without this I may have to resort to writing my own code to attempt to do this, but not sure that I can get all the date/time entries and all the comments associated to their users in the same way that they are in the current site.

• Scott M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature... We sometimes start projects for Clients using our account. Once the project obtains maturity and approval to proceed, they then want the project moved under their their account. Unfortunately, we have to tell them it will need to be manually done. Neither of us likes that outcome.

• Denis Eremenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear anonymous,

I've already described cases, where the requested functionality is highly desired:
        - Project archiving
        - Collection restructuring (i.e. organizational changes, infrastructure changes, isolation of fast growing projects)

These cases are not a consequence of somebody's mistakes,this is a normal project\orgstructure lifecycle, which is not supported by TFS.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has always been the case that projects cannot be moved this way. If this is ever delivered, most of the people will use it once and never again. It seems this feature is requiring a lot of resources that could be spent elsewhere. If you laid out your team projects wrong, deal with it. If you need to split it, clone it and delete; let it run over holidays if need to be. Keep them separate instead of merging it. It's annoying, yes, but you are already doing all of this for years. How is it even a reasonable investment from business perspective? You are already customers if you have this problem, and switching to a competitor will not help you move your current projects either.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really helpful feature rather than taking backup and doing other process. Thanks

• Denis Eremenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear MS,
        Our company works in perhaps the biggest instance of TFS in Europe. And we've been waiting for this feature for 5 years.

It's critical for us to keep archived projects, so we never delete data from TFS. That's why we have to invest to hardware and increasing environment complexity to keep it working with appropriate performance. The list of our projects is more than 400 and keeps increasing.
        If you would bring the ability to move projects between collections, it would solve our problem of storing archived projects and keeping production collection clean.

Also we're unable to isolate workload of heavy projects, so we have to deal with one huge 5TB collection. Suggested workaround to clone this huge collection and then cleanup unnecessary projects in it will disable ability to work with the project during this operation, which can take more than 1 week.
        So, if we could move some heavy projects into separate collection, that would relieve the load from primary collection.

I really hope that the given scenarios will help you to make correct decision about this feature, highly desired by many people worldwide.

• David M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really would like to see this feature and @WhitneyJenkins it would be really nice to see a DETAILED blog post that describes the plan and the technical implementation\architecture when you start planning for this feature. My company has been waiting for over 6 years (since TFS 2012) for this feature and it'd be really appreciated to understand how you will approach fixing this critical shortcoming. Thank you! Hope springs eternal for this feature.
        PLEASE
        PLEASE
        PLEASE
        Don't push it off again.

• Randy in Marin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The initial design must have been so far off that it's just about impossible to change now. Perhaps this item should be closed as "won't fix" if this is not going to ever be fixed.

• Brian Auerbach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You do realize this is the top-voted request, right? I don't understand how, with this being your most requested feature, you can keep putting it off. It was requested 7+ years ago, and the progress bar is still at planning. Seems like pretty poor customer service to me.

• SPicard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply put, when a company buys another one, the Collection needs to come with it. Fine if the whole Collection is part of the deal, but they will suffer having multiple Collections to handle like we do. What if a company sells only a product to another one: how can they get only one project out of the collection ? Seriously, that sounds like a top level feature to me.

• Thomas Tomiczek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about "Export projects to new collection"? Select projects, export them all to a new collection? Splitting teams happens.

• Deepak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any progress on this issue ? When can we expect this to be completed ?

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base