Shelveset search improvement
Currently you can only search Shelvesets by username which is very restrictive for the following reasons:
1. Search by shelveset name. You have to add a shelveset name so why can't you ssearch by one? We use shelvesets for reviewing purposes and being able to search by name would be invaluable.
2. With the current search (ie by user name ) if you enter an incorrect name you get a TF14045 error. Enabling wildcard searches for this and potentially for point 1 above if implemented would be useful. Currently In a multi domained work environment we have users who have to search by both [username] (I am assuming this is first domain name added to TFS) and [domainname]/[username] (assuming this is subsequent domain names added). I would like to see searching for [username] would show all irrespective of domain.
As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.
1) Should be able to filter via date.
2) Regex for shelveset title + Shelveset comments.
3) Maybe add "tags", similar to task list.
code reviews and gated builds will get auto-tagged, and can also be filtered out.
4) Be able to search via associated task #.
4a) In the task itself, under "All Links", it'd be nice to have the reverse mapping to all associated shelvesets.
5) Search by file included. (also regex).
6) The "Find Shelveset" dialog in tfs only shows 100 items which is useless and gets cut off quickly. Unfortunately I didn't leave a good comment and am trying to find something from several months ago.
I'm having to use command line "tf vc shelvesets /format:detailed > log.txt" then use regex to search through the file.
I've just discovered that after a year of removing all Gated_ and CodeReview_ automatic shelvesets from the other wise giant list of personal shelves, that these are in fact the globally accessed shelvesets, and I've just lost all the code review notes from all those changes. The "Find Shelveset" dialog _absolutely_ should be able to do wildcard and regex-style searching - please add this feature.
#2 seems to always get in the way. For example, if a user name is "John Doe (Eclectic Company)". It is necessary to type in that complete name, exactly, no extra or missing spaces. Well, it is at least a caseless search. I would hope one could type " Eclectic ", have spaces trimmed, and see all Shelvesets from that company.
Matthew Mitrik commented
Good feedback. For #2 in the original post, we've made some improvements here in TFS11. You can now find shelvesets without specifying the domain, and if there are duplicates (i.e. two people named "johnsmith" in different domains) you'll see a message asking you to disambiguate. We also support findind shelvesets using friendly names (just like you see in TFS work items).
The real issue here is that this is a find operation and not a search. We don't yet have search in TFS11, but it is something that we are tracking. IMHO, search won't be complete for version control until it supports searching all artifact types (changesets, shelvesets, labels, etc.)
Program Manager | TFS Version Control
Lukas Grützmacher commented
How about a drop-down box for the user?
I know this is not helpful for environment with many users, but easy for small systems.
Together with live search in user list is should be sufficent for large systems, too.
Chuck Fields commented
Most importantly allow fuzzy name searches. Better yet support getting a Shelveset to a different branch (in the UI)