How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Allow to move more than one file at once in TFS source control

It is currently only possible to move files one by one in TFS source control, which means that it takes a lot of time to move several files from one place to another place. It would be great if one could select multiple files and move them to another place at once.

301 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Max Zeier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mariano Gomez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why on earth does this future not exist today is beyond me. I have to move 100 files to a different folder within the same repository and still doing it one-by-one!

• Arnon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be even more helpful if when you drag-drop a file in Solution Explorer (not Source Control Explorer) it will mark the change as "rename" and not as "delete" and "add" - which breaks the history of the file.

• Rob Sanders commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been without this functionality since 2005, it's almost 10 years now.. how has such a logical set of functionality been omitted??

• Usman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recommend that this feature needs to be included in new TFS source control. It saves a lot of time.

Thank you,
        Usman

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this, I don't see any reason why it cannot be done.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to move 500 reports into an archive project so that we will retain them but they will not be clogging up our active solutions. This is a terrible feature to not have! Move... only works with one file selected? =(

• Trisped commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. Make a project (add it to TFS).
        2. Add the files to the project. Note: you will probably want to make the project (the .csproj file, not the folder) in the root of the folders containing the files and folders to be moved. Also, you can use the "Show All Files" button in the Solution Explorer to find the files, then right click on them and select "Include In Project". This works with one selection or multiple.
        3. In the Solution Explorer window move the files around as desired.
        4. Check in your changes

• Zelda Meyerhoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature, as I am working with high volumes of SQL scripts and it is a painful slow process of moving them one by one.

• Matthew Mitrik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely painful today. It's on the backlog to improve this in the future.

Matt
        Program Manager | TFS Version Control

Feedback and Knowledge Base