How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

implement branch history for folders

In the history of a single file the branch/rename history is visible by plus-sign on the left.
I would like to have such a feature for complete folders which are branched/renamed.

146 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Lukas GrützmacherLukas Grützmacher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For the love of god fix this. If I went to a new company, I would veto the use of TFS based on this *bug* alone!!!! ( And yes it is a bug, despite however much you want to say it's a "feature" ) YOU MUST BE ABLE TO MOVE A FOLDER AND STILL SEE ITS HISTORY

• SebastianSebastian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In a modern version control system the history of an element simply MUST be tracable in an easy way and a rename or move should never lead to a hidden history.

• KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has got to get fixed. Totally makes the product a deal breaker in regulated environments where history must be preserved and obvious.

• Malcolm O'CallaghanMalcolm O'Callaghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why "Show History (Recursive)" has not been added along with the existing "Show History". This is unacceptable - if you can not resolve this issue then simply remove the ability to rename folders and branches. You can't have it both ways. Focus.

• DamianDamian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It also happens to me for no obvious reason when I merge a branch.

• Giuseppe CrescimannoGiuseppe Crescimanno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely needed.

If it proves to be too expensive for the normal "Show History" Menu item, why not add another Menu Item under Advanced "Show History Recursive ... (might take longer)" ???

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We recently converted from TFS2008 to TFS2012. In the process we noticed that any folder that had been renamed in the past lost the ability to view any history prior to the rename. This can be very frustrating for the times when we need to know at a high level what changes have been checked into a folder. The history worked as expected in TFS2008, showing all changesets through time for the folder. We would like to see this functionality returned in the current versions of TFS please.

• Florian BoeckFlorian Boeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As this was really a pain for tracing changes after re-organizing folders and branches, I programmed a fix for this behavior for TFS 2013. I don't know yet if and where I would publish it. But if you are interested, just drop me a note.

• Thomas WThomas W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to rename a branch, folder, ... I don't want to copy the item.
        I want to move a branch, folder, ... I don't want to copy the item.

• Alan MAlan M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not being able to view the history on a folder after it's been moved is a horrible "by design" feature. Implement this feature to make history viewing on moved folders work the intuitive way that everyone wants and expects it to work.

• Bruce WakefieldBruce Wakefield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We already bought the cow, and have to come up with some work around. We are a public company and have to get audited by Sarbanes Oxley, who looks at our change process annually. They make sure all the quality gates, checks and balances processes are being followed. We have to archive/move our folders/files around to clean up the source control space to remove old branches from our merge candidate list, our 'get' tasks, and basic maneuverability in the system. Or, we would have to search through lots of folders, cloaking each that we wish to ignore on a daily basis, weed through the merge target list, and just add a lot more time with it's clunkiness. And, be unable to supply the Sarbanes auditors with the list and contents of ChangeSets that were included on a Work Item which was deployed to Production on *** date. Or, they want to do a history of ChangeSets in our Production branch and verify that each ChangeSet is accounted for by tracing the ChangeSet and files to a Work Item associated with a Sprint that was deployed on any date with all the proper sign-off documents, etc. And, sorry Matt, but the explanation of "We did talk about this scenario" [but it was too hard], just isn't incisive enough for me to buy. There is always a way.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base