How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Custom Fields in Work Item Alerts

I created an alert on work items that are assigned to me. But now, I want to shrink the alert to work items with a specific string value in a certain field.

For fields like "Title" I can select "=" or "<>" in the clause.

For other (self defined) string fields, I can only choose between "Changes", "Changes From", "Changes To".

It would be nice to enable the evaluation of custom fields with the "=" selector etc.

119 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Konrad Mühler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  AdminVSTS Team (Product group, Microsoft Visual Studio) responded  · 

Hi All,

This functionality will be part of Sprint 122’s Update. You can read all about it in our release notes (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/articles/news/2017/aug-28-team-services#custom-fields-and-tags-in-notifications).

As noted in the article, this feature will be rolling out over the next three weeks to all accounts.

Best,
    Jose Rady Allende
    Program Manager | VSTS

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nagsen Meshram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this time, because of this limitation, TFS alert will not be sent if we have to match a partial word for that custom field. It has to be an exact match.

• Nagsen Meshram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TFS Project Alert should have all list of operators available similar to TFS Query.

For custom field, the only three operators available are "Changes", "Changes To" and "Changes From".
        It should have all options such as "Contains" etc. Please see attached images.

• Alan Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply need to let the person for whom a bug was submitted know that its been closed which seems a fairly reasonable thing to do.

• Ann Myers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My simple need is...

State changes to Coded (Core Field)
        AND QA Engineer = Me (Non Core Field)

send an alert to my email.

I hate to pull the competitor card, but this is something Jira can do on just about any field in 2 minutes.

Currently the best I can do is set it so that EVERY work item that goes to "Coded" will send me an email alert, this just spams my inbox and isn't useful.

Please up this in priority!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Build Alerts 'Definition Name' only supports '=' and '<>' operators... This is weak. It's a string and would be easy to implement 'Contains' or at least 'Starts With'. This is necessary for companies/organizations that use the TFS build system. For example our BI team has 50+ TFS build workflows that turn different build definitions on. If I want to be alerted for any point in failure, I need to add 50 OR clauses to the alerts interface. Weak sauce!

• Matt Hartzell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What. In. The. World. Is this a joke? The equality operator is not supported for custom fields? Shame on me for assuming such a basic, trivial piece of functionality was implemented in TFS.

This is absurd.

• Thomas Beer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just created a Custom Field i wanted to check for in the alerts!
        What a bummer. pls MS give me a late Christmas Present.

... it took 3+ years to get planned? This is a core feature in many of your competitor's products.

This is a MUST HAVE, it is ridiculous that it is still not implemented after several years.

• TimB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An end user is recorded in "Requested By" field - we want to be able to email alerts to the Requester whenever "their" item is updated

• chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any Update? This is a base request in my mind. We have the same need to pick what our "Core" fields would be so that we have the ability to get emails based on changes on fields we deem necessary

• Roman Kotovich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our use case: the task goes through "in progress" -> "in review" -> "done" states. It obviously has to be reviewed not by the same person who preformed (implemented) the task. Thus we have the "Last Assignee" filed to first check that the assignee changed between the "in progress" and "in review" state. Second we planned to use this field to notify this "last assignee" that the task passed the review, just to find out that due to someones design decision we cannot compare those non-core fields.

• Jonas Whidden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would also love having this functionality. Specifically, we want the developer who resolved the bug to get an email alert when the bug is closed, through filter:

Resolved By = [Me]
        Work Item Type = Bug
        State <changes to> Closed

• Ralph Jansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I use TFS 2013 Update 2 and Visual Studio 2013 Update 2.

How can I create an identification to a workitem where I can create an alert on?
        I have workitems for a specific customer. I added a tag to those workitems. I want an alert when something changes with a workitem with that tag. Because alerts don't support tags, I created a custom field but I also can't set an alert with the "=" operator on that field.

Please help.

• Ralph Jansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this also doesn't work... How then can I create an identification to a workitem that I can create an alert on?
        I have workitems for a specific customer. I added tags to those workitems. I want an alert when something changes with a workitem with that alert. Because alerts don't support tags, I created a custom field but I also can't set an alert with the "=" operator.

Please help.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base