How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Automatic State Transition based on linked Work Item State

One of the things which I feel has value in the process templates forTFS 2011 is the state changing based on the linked child items. Like how the hours aggregate up from the linked child work items to the parent item, if there is a way to get the parent work item state to transition based on the linked child item state it would be good. An example of this is when a child item state is set to "In Progress" if the parent work item is then set to "In Progess" automatically.

Automatic State Transition based on linked Work Item State

203 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Prasanna RamkumarPrasanna Ramkumar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Simon TipperSimon Tipper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only just started using VSTS but can't believe this ability is not present in the system. It makes difficult reading to see that this has been a requested change for 5+ years yet requests with a fraction of the votes and comments are being implemented by the development team.

Remind me again what the point of uservoice is if the requested features aren't progressed?

• Shervin BehjooShervin Behjoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
        I need the specific feature that e.g. when all tasks of a PBL (product backlog) is done, the PBL state be automatically changed to state "done."
        the same practice is needed for the relation between a Bug and its tasks.

Shervin Behjoo

• Shervin BehjooShervin Behjoo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
        I need the specific feature that e.g. when all tasks of a PBL (product backlog) is done, the PBL state be automatically changed to state "done."
        the same practice is needed for the relation between a Bug and its tasks.

Shervin Behjoo

• Matthew EskolinMatthew Eskolin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This question was asked in 2012, and here I am 5 years later with the same issue... using Team Services...is there at least a way to bulk update all child items, so you don't have to click into each child item by hand???

• Theunis MewTheunis Mew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using TFS aggregator as a workaround for this problem, and it works well for my on-Prem solution.

But, and this is a big but. Relying on a third party plugin that may loose support or not be updated when the core product is for what should be standard out of the box features is not on.

This should really be part of the core of TFS.

• VSTS TeamAdminVSTS Team (Product group, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have reached out to the contributors of this project, and it is actually a FREE extension.

It comes in two flavors sharing a common scripting language and configuration.

The <a href="https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tfsaggregatorteam.tfs-aggregator-server-plugin">Server Plugin</a>, for TFS 2013 Update 2 up to TFS 2017 Update 1, runs in-process of your on-premise TFS and is the most performing option. TFS takes care of insulating from crashes in the plugin.

Another option is choosing for the <a href="https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=tfsaggregatorteam.tfs-aggregator-web-service">Web Service</a> version, for VSTS or TFS 2015 and later. You have to setup an hosting environment (basically an IIS Web Site) and it runs out-of the TFS process. The Web Service is the only option for Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS).

Sorry for the confusion
        Ewald Hofman

• KeithKeith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The suggestions says that this is a paid solution, however it is only in trial and no announcement on the actual cost, this is a ridiculous suggestion for something that should be part of the core product.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use third party (paid) solution for a feature that should be within TFS out of the box? Is it a joke? Sorry, I really do not understand. Probably, because of my bad English.

Let me see if I understand this... We pay a lot of money for an MSDN license to get access to a top of the line ALM. Said ALM does not do something all of its competitors have been doing for years; something that seems like a common sense standard thing that shouldn't require thought. Something that has been requested for 6 years.

And Microsoft's answer is to tell us to spend more money on a 3rd party extension that requires some investment in development effort for customization and a change in the development baseline?

Do I understand this right?

This is sitting here (and also on Microsoft's Backlog) since 2011. After 6 years... this is a major efficiency flaw.

• Jason PuchyrJason Puchyr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought I was doing something wrong.... I can't believe this isn't built in (tfs 2015 update 3 on prem)

Same with auto calculating hours

• ZaherZaher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is causing a management overhead to keep all related work items states in syc. We would expect such a feature to be out-of-the-box. So many people are requesting this, and it is obviously a rule of thumb, so it cannot stay proposed since 2012.
        So how are the teams managing without this? any one can share their workaround?

• SimonSSimonS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should also apply to linked items (even in another project) not just child items to advance their status as applicable given status of the linked (inc related) item.

• AliAli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have to make a Plugin for it. We have developed a Plugin, in which if all child are done, then we set the Parent state to "Ready To Accept" state (customized).

• Ole Herman KiaerOle Herman Kiaer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this. This is causing a lot of extra unnecessary work.

When a child work item goes from New to Active, set parent work item to Active (if parent has state New).

When all child work items are Closed, set parent to Resolved (or Closed) if parent state is Active.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base