How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Integrate Office365 and Visual Studio Team Services

Please integrate Visual Studio Team Services and Office 365 better, considering that an organization that is interested in Visual Studio Team Services will be likely to be using Office 365.

Integration should include:
- Authentication - users should be able to use their Office365 accounts and not only LiveID (or Microsoft Accounts).

- SharePoint site integration - from Visual Studio Team Services let me configure a site that I can host file sharing from, including the ability to use Office 365 as a SharePoint source. Administrative functionality should be included provided the user has the ability to administer Office365.

- SharePoint site integration, storyboarding - same as above, but specifically to better storyboarding integration. Currently users must manually "go somewhere else" to save their storyboard file, or add it under source control which is not ideal in either case. This should be seamless, especially considering the slightly non-technical nature of the audience for storyboarding.

1,192 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Neil McIsaacNeil McIsaac shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seriously. The visualstudio.com login experience is a mess. if you want to tie your access to your work email you have to create a personal account then tie the two together. God forbid you are also the MSDN subscription owner; then its even worse.

• Vince AimutisVince Aimutis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would really like to see the ability to use the VSTS/TFS Office Integration with MS Project plans that are saved in Project Online. Currently the Office Integrator only allows MS Project Pro (client) plans to be used with the integration and saving/publishing to Project Online can be flaky and is unsupported. This functionality works the majority of the time and should be supported.

• AllanAllan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is definitely potential in some sort of integration between VSTS, Project, Planner, ToDo, Teams, Sharepoint, Groups, etc. With some fit and finish, VSTS could be used for projects outside of software development as well.

Weirdly, as James Sperring points out, Microsoft hasn't responded to this request - even though SSO is possible now and rudimentary "integration" with Teams is now possible,

• James SperringJames Sperring commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the 3rd most popular request for Team Services currently, posted nearly 5 years ago, and yet no response at all?

• Mike EnnisMike Ennis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS Teams integration would be spectacular. We have just started using Teams, and it's great - one stop shopping! we have started using it for all of our communication and TRDs. If we had the ability to link directly between Teams documents and discussions and VSTS work items, that would be very handy.

* being able to escalate Dynamics Cases to bugs
        * Being able to map TFS tasks to Project Online
        * integrated user authentication

• Dan CarpenterDan Carpenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tighter integration with shared OneNote notebooks would be nice to serve as a wiki. For example being able to "@" reference TFS Users and "#" reference TFS work items natively in the notebooks would be slick.

• Pascal WalleniusPascal Wallenius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My primary problem is also manage of requirements and other documentation that evolves dynamically as team members collaborate on the content. I would love a wiki solution rather than a better way of organizing document files.

• Will ReynoldsWill Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently I'm having to duplicate tasks across VSTS and Planner. Could do with something like a "Show in Planner" option from the VSTS backlog.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integrate Project Server online with Visual Studio Team Services - should be a key integration....

+1 for adding O365 collaboration groups. They actually show up as possible groups in TFS online, once added they show up as [Team Foundation Server/.... but TFS errors out when the group is added because the function populates a GUID in the background and then the error is generated inline.

• Aaron GiustAaron Giust commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for integrating with files stored on Office 365 whether it's a regular SharePoint Online library, OneDrive, or Office 365 group file share. The PowerPoint storyboarding integration is great but it doesn't fulfill the requirement completely. I want to add a feature item to my backlog and then link requirements, specifications, and architectural documents to it. I don't want to attach it. It needs to be a link because I'm going to link those same documents to other items in my backlog.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base