How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Customize the columns on the Task Board

- Configure columns on the task board, just as on the Kanban board
- allow to control what workitems should appear on a board (even if not linked to a user story/pbi)
- allow setting of WIP limits per column

652 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert Atbert shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Enabling users to customer their column on the task board, has been an outstanding wish for us for a long time. A year ago we were planning to pick this one up, but unfortunately we were not able to get to it because of other priorities. We have kept the state of the user voice item as Planned for a long time, as it was always on the edge of being picked up.

In our latest planning cycle, it is clear that it is still high on our list, but we won’t be able to get to it in the next 3-6 months. In a few months we will have our next planning cycle, and it will be again one of the features that we desperately want to deliver to you. I hope to have better news in a few months. Sorry.

Ewald Hofman
    Program Manager

90 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Shubham Srivastava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When can we expect this change to happen? Any expected dates around this feature, so that I can accordingly communicate to my customer, who is eagerly looking forward for this feature.

• Mark Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dave are you talking about the fact that it adds columns when you add custom states to your work items? If so, that's already been mentioned, and it has drawbacks. I think most people find it not obvious how to do it, nor is it as flexible as they need.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can show you how to do this. The functionality is there. DM me if you need more details

• David Boss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it that in May of 2016 you said this should be available in the next 3 - 6 months and yet the feature is still not available? This would be a great low hanging fruit feature...

• Francis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really frustating that this is not yet available and makes our life complicated. Additionaly I tried to do some customized process to adress this shortcoming and ended up with a task board that is corrupted with too many column and no way to clean it so that it goes back to standard.

• Gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please address this shortcoming as soon as possible. This is basic functionality, not some esoteric feature. It should not be so hard since the functionality already exists at the backlog level.

• David Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is unbelievable that this hasn't been done already. My organization has just started using this tool and this feature is a must. Come on VSTS Team!

• Raj Kaur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Ewald,

Any update if the option to have the VSTS board columns names to be changed, as is in JIRA?

Kind regards,

Raj
        Test Analyst

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How many years have pass... "but we won’t be able to get to it in the next 3-6 months."

• Nik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorely needed. Sad to have to resort to external tools for such basics.

• Nikola Dichev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 (and 50 more from the organization that i'm working in). We've just migrated from JIRA and we started facing this issue. This flexibility feature is a must!

i prefer JIRA because of the lack of this possibility. JIRA is far more advanced in working with baords and cutomizing them.

Agree,need to solve this but seems microsoft Planning the same from last 4 years

Also, completing all tasks under a product backlog item should also make Product backlog item status- Completed/DONE.

VSTS Team,

The absence of this feature is really a huge downside of the product. Request you to get this feature to push on top of the priority.

• Richard Birch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+ 1 to this. And we should be able to resize columns and the cards too, so that we can view as much information on a single screen at a daily standup. Currently the board view renders pretty much as a list if there's lots of items in to do or completed (at the start and end of sprints)

• Mark Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Simon Tipper, for what it's worth, you CAN now add custom columns to the task board. The board is nowhere near as customisable as I personally would like, but you can add custom States to tasks (as well as other work item types) and when you do, these become columns on the task board.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base