How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Support calculated fields in TFS

The ability to create work item fields which are based on a calculation of the value of fields in linked work items.

For example, if a Product Backlog work item has two children Task work items which each have remaining work, it would be incredibly beneficial to have a field on the Product Backlog work item that was able to roll-up the values of these fields. That is to say that if the remaining work on the two Tasks for that Product Backlog item were 5 and 10 respectively, the Product Backlog work item could show that the sum of the remaining work was 15.

Calculated fields should be able to be based on the link type and the work item type.

Your consideration for this functionality is appreciated.

726 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex Bernauer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!
        Calculated fields--even if implemented with language/syntax similar to SSRS reporting (which would lower the learning curve and possible shorted development time).

Grouping is another wish!! Although, the tree capability is similar, multi-level grouping and aggregates in reporting would be amazingly useful! These aggregates could be used in very unique ways with tile widgets and charting.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too would like a generic calculated field, for instance "Complete" which is a boolean where it's complete only if Status = Closed, and not complete otherwise. That would be advantageous on dashboard controls which have limited aggregation controls.

• Emiel Jongerius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have a generic way to calculate fields. For instance: I would like to be able to calculate the Risk Score by multiplying the Risk Likelihood by the Risk Impact.

I'd like a calculated "Days in State" field, and "Days since created". Then I could also set card style rules on these to highlight work that has been slow to progress across my Kanban Board.

Its great recommendation however I think the problem is mush deeper and it is due to the lack of support of aggregation in WIQL for workitems and linked workitems. WIQL is really getting old and limited and I haven't seen any serious improvement in last 10 years. I think TFS query system needs a boost right now.

TFSAggregator for Online would be just another feature.... but calculated fields can be reference fields... like auto calculation of remaining ours from Original Estimate minus Completed Work = Remaining effort... something like this...

• Don VanVooren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really help out for items like bugs where i've had to add a second Effort section to the WI to track QA & DEV time.

• Reuben Swartz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be nice to be able to configure a roll up for status also. For instance it would be wonderful if we can set that if a feature had children that were marked as being in progress that it would roll up to the parent also.

• Vince Aimutis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good request and would be great functionality as it would allow a TFS summary level work item with rolled up values to be published and/or refreshed from Project (if you use a TFS-Project integration), rather than having to publish/refresh every granular level task allowing a PM to manage to a higher level of detail than the granular task level often needed by developers.

• Michael L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In on-premises TFS TFSAggregator can handle this. It's pretty flexible on rolling up data.

• Asra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like TFS, but it's the lack of simple functions like this that has led my new VP of Technology to move to VersionOne. The calculated field should also be available to export.

• Naveed Butt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remaining work already sums up to the PBI, but some other fields like Original Estimate and Completed work do not roll up. We need this feature too... Please do something regarding this...

Hi, i have 2 field having time estimation. i need a third field as a sum. kindly help on this

• Chris Schaller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whilst some views do show the rollup of WorkRemaining it is hard to report on or query outside of those views. Also what if I wanted to view the work completed or original estimate of all the tasks in the user story.
        Our scrum master currently spends hours a week manually doing these rollup calcs and updating the user stories with the values.

• Nikki Bridwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Remaining time is already shown on the Task board, so you would think It would be possible to add that calculation to a field for the WIT. It would also be beneficial for the Completed time on the tasks to be calculated so you have an idea on Actual time spent to complete a story or bug.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base