How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Customize Process Template on Visual Studio Team Services

In Visual Studio Team Services, allow the ability to change the current process template a created project is using as well as the ability to upload your own process templates to create new team projects with.

2,186 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jonathon StevensJonathon Stevens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  VSTS TeamAdminVSTS Team (Product group, Microsoft Visual Studio) responded  · 

We are very excited to announce an important milestone. Today, you can modify the form layout with a WYSIWYG editor, create your own work items, add custom states, and last but not least, you can customize the behavior of the work items using rules. When you customize your process on VSTS, you not only get a great editing experience, but you inherit any change we make to the Agile, Scrum or CMMI process.

To start customizing your process in Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), please read our documentation on how to Customize a process

Although we are completing this suggestion, it doesn’t mean our work stops here. If you have a suggestion how we can make process customization an even better experience for you, we encourage you to submit a request on our User Voice site. Here are a few examples of such requests :

Ewald Hofman
    VSTS Program Manager

246 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NdeeNdee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cloning is available.
        @Ewald Hofman
        I am getting this error:
        VS403085: You specified a state order that is invalid. State should follow state category order of Proposed, In Progress, Resolved, Completed.
        Any ideas?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ewald Hofman
        When will cloning of process be available? Our teams are waiting for this...

When will we get "Cloning of process templates"?
        We have several team projects which use an inherited processes.
        Now they beginn to differ and we need to split their process template...

• Thomas MutzlThomas Mutzl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Why cloning an inherited process: it should be an export/import, so that an inherited process can be re-used on a different VSTS account. And from my understanding, that's currently not possible, correct?

• VSTS TeamAdminVSTS Team (Product group, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dave, the custom states should just show up in VS Community. User Voice is used for feature suggestions, and is not tracked for issues or problems. Please use the <a href="https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/21/index.html">Developer Community</a> to report an issue.

Why are you asking your stakeholders by the way to open work items in VS Community? Why don't you let them use the web work item form?

Ewald Hofman

• Dave McKerralDave McKerral commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there limitations on custom states when working with Visual Studio Community? We've added some and they're displaying fine on VSO and VS Enterprise but don't display on community which our stakeholders are using, the custom fields on the WIT do, but not the custom states.

• Justin JacksonJustin Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there the ability to still setup a VSTS account with HostedXML by default? The options to customize based purely on the Inherited process is fairly limited. I want to be able to import a customized process in VSTS, but I don't see that option in any of my accounts.

• Peter BoevinkPeter Boevink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will it be possible to clone an existing inherited process template? I don't see any support for exporting/importing inherited processes.
        Currently I have to inherit the original process again and re-apply all customizations (which have not been tracked....)

• fredfred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to customize the Reason Codes for Closed items? It only currently has Deferred, Rejected or Duplicate. This are not the only reason a Bug is closed. What about the value of Resolved or Completed or just Closed.

• Chris KimChris Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see a timeline for the uploading process template feature, just the customizations for the work items. Do you guys have plan to add the upload feature at this point? Small shops might be able to just tweak existing templates but large scale projects will need to customize and upload that to clients.

• Ed BlankenshipEd Blankenship commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we sure are. It's the first item on the roadmap (with a great linked description) but many of the releases over the last few months have lots of process template customization options available in Visual Studio Team Services now. The features timeline is available here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/articles/news/features-timeline

Let us know if you have any questions after taking a look at what's available now in Team Services!

Currently the only selection list type of custom field is a numeric list. I would like an option to have a User field the could be used to assign different types of users such as developer, qa, etc. These custom fields would provide a selection list of all users and preferably you could specify the group that would be displayed in the list.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base