How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

assign code review to a TFS group

In any medium to large development environments that I know, each team has at least a few senior developers that do code review on a regular basis. We also fall in this category and we could really use a way to assign code review to a TFS Group, instead of adding each one of the code reviewers in the team to every code review request

91 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Stefan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kettch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As part of this feature, please consider streamlining the number of work items that get created. For our purposes a code review would get assigned to a TFS group and only a single unassigned work item would be created. Then someone could pick up that work item and work it. It would be nice if the work item and the review request were more tightly coupled. This would enable a single point of contact when updating the status.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer the idea that we can provide an field "Reviewers" which can accept multiple team contributors in the Pending Changes submit page in our Visual Studio Team Explorer. In this case, we can record the code reviewer / pair programmer when we submit the code changes. As the pair programming is more popular in our daily work, when we writing the code, such code already be reviewed by the pair programmer. In most of the case, we may not need a separate review section for the code changes. So introducing this new field can help us improve the work efficiency. And solve our current 2 problems that: how to identify the pair programming work via TFS and how to record the code already been reviewed and who is the reviewer.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have you thought about assigning Code Reviewers to specific folders in VC? When a file is checked out, the reviewers assigned to the folder are automatically added to the CR?

• Maxwell Bloch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - is this also planned for adding a Group/Team as Pull Request Reviewers in Git projects? Or would that be a new idea? Thanks!

• Alan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also trying to do this - it would be very useful to be able to assign a review request to a group rather than entering each of the names individually each time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base