How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Add support for TFS 2008 and 2010 in VS 2013 RTM

Support was dropped for TFS 2008 and 2010 in the Visual Studio 2013 RC. This is not acceptable. TFS 2010 is only 3 years old, and many of my clients are still using it. TFS 2008 still has some clients using it, and it becomes difficult to introduce 2013 projects into these systems.

TFS 2008/10 worked in the Beta Version, why would you pull this at the last second prior to release?

34 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mystere Man shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

VS 2013 RTM already supports TFS 2010. We dropped the support for TFS 2008.

We recommend you to upgrade your TFS Server to a newer version. If you for any reason are unable to do so, you can use the MSSCCI provider to connect to TFS 2008 Source Control from within Visual Studio. To get access to the work items, you can install an older version of Team Explorer.

You can find the MSSCCI provider at http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/06c8e056-7f77-4a5c-9b8b-49318c143df8

Ewald Hofman
    TFS Program Manager

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • avik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's why i stopped using TFS and moved to GIT. Its SOOOOOOOOOOO Much COOler!
        And its free and for private repos the charge very less money .
        I am starting to move away for Microsoft stuffs slowly .

• vincenzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HI Ewald ,

I have the same problem awe Kenneth. Even with MSSCI installed I am getting the error message that the TFS 2008 is not supported with VS 2013.

Would you be so kind to write a couple of line on how to do this or post a link ?
        Thank you for your time.

Could y

• Kenneth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ewald,
        Are you able to post (or post a link to) instructions for connecting to TFS2008 from VS2013 using MSSCCI?
        I am trying to get this working, but always run into the error message that te TFS version is unsupported.

• sanchezlario commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"you can use the MSSCCI provider to connect to TFS 2008 Source Control from within Visual Studio."

this does not work, it gives an error message that the Team Foundation Server is not compatible. I Guess the MSSCCI provider is meant for older versions of visual studio to connect to TFS2012, not for connecting VS2013 to TFS 2008

• SliverNinja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree..the VS 2013 Preview worked great connecting to TFS 2008...why are we removing support? Even the MSSCCI provider is disabled. Come on MS!

Feedback and Knowledge Base