How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Allow multiple "Current" iterations for multiple iteration paths in a project

It would be really good if TFS interface allowed for multiple "current" iterations.
For example we have a clients that has multiple projects, we group the projects under 1 project in tfs per client. We use the following structure with the iterations paths

[Client]

[Product A / Project A]
[Release 1]
[Sprint 1]
[Sprint 2]

[Product B / Project B]
[Sprint 1]
[Sprint 2]

I would be good that if we are working on Sprint 1 in both project A and B TFS doesnt assume that project B is a future sprint and combines the burn down for example on the overview page.

276 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Phillip Zada shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey All,
        The trick is to assign two teams to one area path. This allows each team to see a common view of the backlog.

• YanivH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, when handling one sprint we finish it early, while testing is on the run by QA personal i can ask my team to start working on the next sprint so there can be time overlap between the two sprints.

I've had to break my 10 person scrum in to 2x5 person groups. Having two teams working in tandem but pulling from the same backlog would be great.

I need this feature also, it very hard for the user to manage multiple iterations in the different project. the most process not async, quite hard to manage it.

We've had to create multiple projects to get around this. We were afraid of going too far using one iteration in 'current' and one in 'future' and then finding it messes up the burn down charts etc. (Although it appeared to work that way ok)

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would welcome this change as well. We have code releases, but also periodic configurations and system adjustments that all work on different schedules. They are all currently being worked on, but I don't want them all in the same sprint.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really is a problem when your trying to manage multiple work-streams being performed by the same team

• Casey Inskeep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur with Dave's approach as posted below in November 2016. That seems like a logic approach that would fit the broadest base of user requirements.

• Vince Aimutis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this. We have teams that are working on project\enhancement work with a specific iteration cadence in addition to their support work on the application which follows it's own iteration cadence. Ideally an application's development could all follow one iteration schedule, but this just isn't the case all of the time.

Is there any hope of this functionality being implemented in a future TFS update?

Thanks!

• K Blake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another vote for this functionality. Alongside the main development of new features, we also have support work for 1 or 2 major release versions. This means that at any time we are working on between 1 & 3 different iterations at once. Depending on priorities, team members may be moved between the iterations/versions as required.

• Aaron Viviano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could have this feature. I often have multiple overlapping iterations on my team. In addition I don't want to change the dates that were assigned to an iteration even if we've moved on to the next one early.

Also please note that we don't use iterations for sprints when we are not working on implementation. Various project phases can last months due to regulated medical documentation needs.

• Emery Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was very surprised having multiple current iterations wasn't a feature out of the box! Please add this as soon as possible.

• Joseph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really wish this were inside TFS. We work with two teams (we have a large group) and we have a Sprint for each team, but only the first one alphabetically is listed under Current. It would be useful to see all active Sprints under Current.

I could really use this feature, been waiting a long time and hopefully someone delivers it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base