How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Use tags in alerts

I want to use tags in my alerts query. I want to create an alert that when a workitem is changed with a particulair tag/tags I get notified.

129 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ralph JansenRalph Jansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Helen KochetkovaHelen Kochetkova commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a huge project with lost of teams and require this feature as well, as use tags a lot to distinguish information.

• Anthony HunterAnthony Hunter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We require this as well. Trying to utilize tags to simulate the same Build Quality functionality that is available with XAML builds, but since we can't setup up an alert on tags we are missing a piece of this functionality.

• MiroMiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use tags for our stakeholders to search for items they are interested in them. So it is really necessary for us to use tags in alerts.

• J. Mike ZseraiJ. Mike Zserai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to use Tags to fire alerts is really a must-have.

Before moving to VSTS, we could assign work items to groups which has a lot of power when creating tasks for support teams such as database. However, groups are not supported in VSTS for work item assignment which forces us to look at alternative solutions to some of these seemingly small but very nagging problems.

Tags could solve this problem if Alerts could query on them. And so could having the ability to customize work item drop-down lists, but it seems that feature hasn't been implemented yet either. It was scheduled for last quarter.

It would be nice if someone from Microsoft would at least acknowledge this request in some way.

Thebottom line is that this should have been implemented when Tags were first introduced. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Thanks

• StefanStefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's definately a missing feature! How else could I "subscribe" to status changes of work items I'm not related to but interested in?

• Ed RussellEd Russell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why hasn't anyone from the Microsoft Team replied to this? I would like to know why you can't query on Tags when configuring Alerts.

• Ryan GalgonRyan Galgon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why the alerting criteria is somewhat randomly missing the capabilities of the standard query. Seems really odd.

• Tom SpringTom Spring commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use tags in order to allow our stakeholders to search for items and bugs that are connected to them. Hence it would be great if we could use tags for alerts.

• JochemJochem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes that would be great. I'd like to have an alert when a PBI gets tagged as 'deployed to test' so that our testers know they can start testing the feature.

• MorwennaMorwenna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We too really need the functionality to be able to alert on tag field. Having to implement a workaround in the meantime, which is not ideal...

• David CrookesDavid Crookes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With tags now being searchable in queries these become very useful. Nevertheless, there are times when you need to know when work items are updated that have key tags on them and therefore need the work item alert feature to also take these into consideration to support accurate and appropriate alerts.

• OmerOmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tagging work items becomes more and more popular.

Now that users can query about it, it feels natural to have the ability to use it in the TFS alert query as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base