How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Allow the ability to prove that a code review was done for a task

I was asked to escalate this from here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5e9c476d-a728-4505-a310-9614b1c3b06f/how-to-find-a-work-items-code-review-request?forum=tfsworkitemtracking

We are using VS2013 connected to TFS2012.

We are currently being audited as to our development practices. Overall it is going well and we can provide evidence on our processes.

However it seems TFS won't allow us to find a code review for a task.

We use a 1 tier branch, so everything gets committed and released from that. Before a commit a code review request is created. Only when the code review passes will the code be committed. This all works fine. However when looking at a task I cannot see the code review associated with it. However if I search by a code review work item I can find the related task to it.

If I search by code review work item (say 14716) I can find the related task work item (say 14715) quite easily in the "Related Work Items" under Team Explorer.

However to satisfy the auditors I need to know the code review by a task work item. When I search by task work item 14715 there is nothing telling me what code reviews are linked to it.

The fact that Team Explorer shows a connection would prove to me that code requests and tasks are linked. However in the post provided above it seems not to be the case.

The consequences of this?

As such it makes our development team look sloppy in this matter and it won't look good when they submit their final report to the shareholders.

Is there a way of proving this already? If not, as TFS is an audit of the entire SDLC, it would certainly seem to be a needed edition.

Regards
Mark Eaton

164 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mark Eaton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As explained in this blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2015/10/08/how-we-use-user-voice-to-make-a-better-product.aspx), we had updated the status of this suggestion to “Under Review” to let you know we are tracking it on our backlog. To better indicate which one we are actively working on or which ones are on our 6-month plan, we introduced the states “Started” and “Planned”. The goal is to give an update on in progress suggestions at least every 3 months. This suggestion is still on our backlog, but they are not part of the 6-month plan.

Ewald Hofman

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tim Hampton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alex McMahon This is something that our team would like very much. Please share this. Even if it's free-as-in-beer it sounds well worth it.

• Mark Eaton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Alex: Would it be okay to share it with us? I wouldn't mind having that plugin myself. Saves reinventing the wheel.

• Alex McMahon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Due to this lack of capability I recently created a TFS Server Side plugin, which gets called whenever a code review is created and automatically creates a link between the work item and the code review request. Requires that the pending changes have the work item associated when you request the review. It wasn't as difficult as I'd thought. Would be nice if it was more built in though.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently there is no feature where we can get the a Workitem id, Code Review Request, Code Review Response level of reporting. Because currently the WorkItems and Direct links only allows the results to be displayed from parent to child relationship level but not the child of child level. For e.g
        Bug --> Code Review Request can be found but Bug->Code Review Request->Code Review Response level of query result cannot be obtained.

• Adam Beilchick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am at least looking for when completing a code review or just creating a shelveset that the task should be linked to the shelveset or code review. Yes the code review or shelveset is linked to the task, but it should be the other way around as well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also looking for the same thing. Tracing from work item to changesets to code reviews.

• John Skovran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A painful method to get what you are looking for would be to write your own SQL to query the TFS database and pull a report for all the code reviews, or just pull the details on the work items you supply. Not a pretty solution but it could get you what the auditors want.

I agree that finding code review information should be an obvious feature in TFS as there can be legal requirements for this, alternately if you want certification you need this information also.

• ScottLangham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, in general, visibility of code reviews is poor. If I assign a code review for a task to a colleague, it would be nice if the review was visible in TFS for the same iteration/sprint as the task so it's possible for project managers to see who is sitting on reviews that need to be completed.

• Srini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently I am struggling with same issue. I wish this get it done soon!

• Bart Rozkiewicz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TFS SHOULD be able to do this, I mean an SVN repository with FishEye and Crucible hooked into it has been able to do this for years

Feedback and Knowledge Base