How can we improve Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS)?

Allow organizing/grouping git repositories in a team project

The ability to host multiple git repositories in a single team project was essential to get uptake of git as a source control option for larger teams.

But with this comes organizing those repositories.

We need a way to be able group git repositories perhaps through some sort of virtual folder structure (like adding solution folders) to help navigation when a large amount of git repositories exist in a single team project.

160 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Laurence Evans shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ove Bastiansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should also be a way to "tag" a folder against a team. We have a Team Project with multiple teams, each team has different repos they work on. And a way to "filter" based on team is needed. Also keep the last worked on repo in the code tab based on teams. When I open the web ui as TeamA, I would like to see the same repo as last time, not the repo I used last time as TeamB

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 and+700 from our current Git in TFS users.This is such an obvious yet missed need.
        Either a folder structure for the Repos originating at the root or allow git repos to exist in any folder structure (are branches out?) in TFVC.

• Reed Rector commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't forget to allow permissions to be set at the folder level that can apply to all the repos below the folder (so that different groups can have expanded permissions for just their repos). Just do the same thing that is done with the build definitions and folder structure.

• jkleban commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a sandbox top-level project and each employee should be able to have their own folder of their repos within it, accessible to others.

• John Henderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have over 150 small repositories that currently are stored on a file share using a folder structure to keep things manageable. We're looking at moving this code into VSTS, but I'm not sure how we can make it work without some sort of folder structure.

We also have many more repositories for other products and would really like to be able to organise those as well.

Ideally, you'd be able to place repositories into a hierarchical structure, specify the repositories available to different teams, and link repositories to Area Paths.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1. Because some of our git repositories are shared across teams, I would like to group them by tag.

• spash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for the virtual folder structure.
        We created a team project which host reusable components developements. For each component we have a dedicated team into the team project. We may have several repos for one component. There is no way to organize the repos per team/component, everything is flat at the team project level.
        The way we are using it today is to define team permissions for each repos, and using a naming rules for the repository (namespaces à la Java - com.mycompany.family.feature....
        Additional issue is that the drop down does not resize itself for long repository names so it is difficult to select the good repo with it .

• Gerhard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue here. We have lots of independent repositories in our team project (storing them in one big repository using submodules is no solution for us). This creates an unpractically long list in the TFS code explorer dropdown. The filter is a nice feature, but a way to organize the repositories in a directory structure would be better. Just a visual way of organizing, like proposed, would be enough for us.

• Shane Garner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a thought...it seems like having repos under an area path would be a reasonable way to group/organize the repos. I would just make sure you can tie work from one team/area path to a repo that exists in another team/area path. Even if it is not area path, some sort of grouping/organization is very much needed still.

• Andrew Halligan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is especially important if you have all your development teams working against a Single TFS Project which is a growing trend as companies become team centric rather than project centric.

See
        * http://nakedalm.com/one-team-project/
        * http://nakedalm.com/working-within-a-single-team-project-with-team-foundation-server-2012/
        * http://geekswithblogs.net/Optikal/archive/2013/09/05/153944.aspx
        * http://blogs.msdn.com/b/greggboer/archive/2012/01/27/tfs-vnext-configuring-your-project-to-have-a-master-backlog-and-sub-teams.aspx
        * etc

If there are a lot of products / solutions under the one team project then folders and search facilities are needed.

Similar problem for organising builds:
        * https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2037619-add-folders-for-build-definitions-in-team-explorer

Feedback and Knowledge Base