How can we improve Application Insights?

Make data accessible via APIs for custom processing

Application Insights sounds cool but I can't imagine having all my data locked up behind a portal without an ability to programmatically access it or at least download it for offline processing. I'm sure the portal is awesome but I'm also sure that there will be project-specific types of insight I need to get out of this data which the portal won't sufficiently support. Making data accessible outside the portal lets you get around that concern while continuing to improve the product.

286 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Robert LevyRobert Levy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    WuyiWuyi shared a merged idea: Expose Application Analytics query API to allow us to query AppInsights data.  ·   · 

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sven Erik MatzenSven Erik Matzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be VERY helpful to offer a public beta of the API. Without an API we will lose support from the C-level (CIO, marketing, etc.) in using Application Insights - as soon as they get automated reports via email from Google Analytics, eTracker or any other service provider, I will not be able to convince them to switch back to Application Insights. So for me it is a time critical step to offer any kind of usable API - even if it breaks tomorrow, it would be better than nothing.

• EdwardEdward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I install application insights SDK, can I let application insights via custom api to send data to application insights portal?

• Dale KoetkeAdminDale Koetke (Admin, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Nagarjuna,

Based on some recent customer feedback, we are going to be implementing some format changes to the API in the next 6 weeks and are targeting a v1 release in mid-September.

Until then, you can access the Beta version of the API as part of the private preview program. Just send me an email (dalek@microsoft.com) and I'll get you all of the info.

Thanks
        Dale Koetke

• NagarjunaNagarjuna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, By any chance do we have this API released into production? I am very eager to consume this data in our project.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
        Nagarjuna

• Vincent ThackerVincent Thacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I am also excited to have an API which exposes this data. We are currently using a solution that uses Continuous Export and building UX components for dashboard views formatting/aggregating the data. All of the basic information we want, # Error, Requests, Response Times, etc.

Also, the Analytics tool is very powerful. I would like to be able to POST a query to the endpoint and have it return the data.

• Bert JacksonBert Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have plans to make a "DevOps" type Dashboard Hub as a TFS (on-premises) extension. This dashboard hub could make use of AppInsights data, and show interesting information from AI directly on our TFS hub.

• Bob McLarenBob McLaren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really looking forward to the REST API. A real awesome capability and time saver would also be the ability to compose charts and graphs the way I currently do through the portal, and then somehow make those graphs available for our clients, without them having to log in to the Azure portal. Perhaps by using the same graphing library the portal uses and then importing the chart "recipe" into our own web front-end. Why re-invent the pie-chart, as they say.

• WuyiWuyi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Application Analytics is a really good service for querying AppInsights data. It would be better to expose the query API. So we can build various service on them.

• Thomas AndersenThomas Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to control the granularity of the returned in the API. If not specified it could select the most appropriate granularity based on the selected period.

• Dale KoetkeAdminDale Koetke (Admin, Microsoft Visual Studio) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Delong. I'd love to get more feedback on this specifically...

Does anyone else have a favorite dashboard solution in which they'd like to see Application Insights integration? In addition to Geckoboard there are other solutions as well such as Leftronic, Cyfe, Numberics, Dasheroo, Statusboard, etc.

• DelongDelong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i want to see data in Geckoboard.
        I want break down of events and metric by user.
        list of users and their events

• RamziRamzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to tie multiple session datum across different App Insights keys.. (using same session key) would be of great value. The different App Insight keys would represent different services, UXs and/or devices. This will help us to build even bigger global views on users' experiences across dependent services, UIs, etc. I can also see a use for creating an Application Insights API Apps that takes in a App Insights key; then we can use an event for the Trigger inside a Logic App to then run complex workflows.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have multiple services with cross platform clients. We would want to see data that allows us to break down the usage pattern for the users, devices, and services. We would also like to be able to allow many people to look at the data that are internal to our organization without requiring them to even have an Azure account. We are a brand new service, so we would like to show the data compared between multiple instrumentation keys.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base