How can we improve Application Insights?

Add support for calculated metrics to App Insights

I would like the ability to combine two metrics in a third, calculated metric. For example, I might want to create a "Custom Error Percentage" metric that divides custom errors per second by requests per second. I could then alert off an error metric that has been normalized for scale instead of one that's specifically tied to RPS.

25 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kyle McClellanKyle McClellan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are pivoting on the support for derived/calculated metrics a bit: we plan on supporting alerting on top of analytics queries that result in a single number per unit of time. You can specify arbitrary criteria in the query, alerting will be supported so long as the query returns a single number per execution.

I would love to hear from you on whether this will address your needs. Thanks.

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Shashank BansalShashank Bansal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides alerts based on the calculate metric, this feature would be extremely relevant to get to a single dashboard (like the OI dashboard) through which we can drive service reviews etc.
        Service availability is typically a combination of GSM availability numbers and some of the performance counters.

Feedback and Knowledge Base