How can we improve Microsoft Visual Studio for Mac?

TFS Version Control

Add support for TFS as a version control provider.

1,770 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey agian, all ! We’re moving right along and now have out another update as of last week (v0.3.2). A major fix in this release is that we’ve found the source of issues for connecting to TFS on-premises systems and this should be working now. Note, we are tracking down some issue still with creating workspaces against these environments, but we’re working on it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/mac/tf-version-control

If you already have it installed, open the Visual Studio > Extensions… > Updates tab to update to the latest release. Please let us know how well it’s working for you and I’ll keep you all up to date out here as we work toward our first non-preview release.

Jordan Matthiesen, Program Manager, Visual Studio for Mac

401 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Maxim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As somebody on July 11th, 2018 at 12:35 already said, we also cannot make a commit on files (up to this, we cant checkout the files just by start writing in it ...) and get the 401 unauthorized error. Here is the stacktrace:

System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
        at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00059] in /Users/builder/jenkins/workspace/build-package-osx-mono/2017-12/external/bockbuild/builds/mono-x64/mcs/class/System/System.Net/HttpWebRequest.cs:1033
        at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse () [0x0000e] in /Users/builder/jenkins/workspace/build-package-osx-mono/2017-12/external/bockbuild/builds/mono-x64/mcs/class/System/System.Net/HttpWebRequest.cs:1045
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Services.UploadService.UploadPart (System.String fileName, System.String workspaceName, System.String workspaceOwner, System.Int32 fileSize, System.String fileHash, System.String range, System.String contentType, System.Byte[] bytes, System.Int32 copyBytes) [0x0011b] in <44b11cbea5eb491eaa1e670a935d715d>:0
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Services.UploadService.UploadFile (System.String workspaceName, System.String workspaceOwner, MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Models.CommitItem item) [0x0005c] in <44b11cbea5eb491eaa1e670a935d715d>:0
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Services.RepositoryService.UploadFile (MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Models.WorkspaceData workspaceData, MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Models.CommitItem commitItem) [0x00012] in <44b11cbea5eb491eaa1e670a935d715d>:0
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Models.ProjectCollection.UploadFile (MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Models.WorkspaceData workspaceData, MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Models.CommitItem commitItem) [0x0000b] in <44b11cbea5eb491eaa1e670a935d715d>:0
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Services.WorkspaceService.CheckIn (MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.Models.CommitItem[] changes, System.String comment, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] workItems) [0x00058] in <44b11cbea5eb491eaa1e670a935d715d>:0
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.TFS.TeamFoundationServerRepository.OnCommit (MonoDevelop.VersionControl.ChangeSet changeSet, MonoDevelop.Core.ProgressMonitor monitor) [0x000af] in <44b11cbea5eb491eaa1e670a935d715d>:0
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.Repository.Commit (MonoDevelop.VersionControl.ChangeSet changeSet, MonoDevelop.Core.ProgressMonitor monitor) [0x00019] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/5965/6ae73188/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/Repository.cs:563
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.CommitCommand+CommitWorker.Run () [0x00079] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/5965/6ae73188/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/CommitCommand.cs:70
        at MonoDevelop.VersionControl.VersionControlTask.<BackgroundWorker>b__13_0 () [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/5965/6ae73188/source/monodevelop/main/src/addins/VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/MonoDevelop.VersionControl/VersionControlTask.cs:52
        at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.InnerInvoke () [0x0000f] in /Users/builder/jenkins/workspace/build-package-osx-mono/2017-12/external/bockbuild/builds/mono-x64/mcs/class/referencesource/mscorlib/system/threading/Tasks/Task.cs:2886
        at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute () [0x00010] in /Users/builder/jenkins/workspace/build-package-osx-mono/2017-12/external/bockbuild/builds/mono-x64/mcs/class/referencesource/mscorlib/system/threading/Tasks/Task.cs:2509

Hope you will fix it soon ... :(

• Zachary Hunt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still can't get this setup. I try to create a new workspace, it prompts me to fill out two fields (name and file path), I fill them out and it says "some mandatory fields are missing"

• Anon E. Moose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm blocked from adding a local Workspace due to my full Computer Name being too long.

"TF10156: The computer name [long computer name] contains unsupported characters, is empty, or too long."

Any chance you can up the supported character count?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can sign in to TFS, see the projects, map to a workspace and make edits to files. I cannot commit them though. I get version control operation failed (401) unauthorized.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not working for me. Using TFS and my credentials I get the error message "Access is denied due to invalid credentials."

• vvergani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can connect to my TFS server.
        I have three collections containing different projects.
        After connecting, I see the three collections, but inside every collection I see the projects of the first collection. I try to explain: I have collection1 with projectA and ProjectB. Then I have collection2 with projectC and projectD.

When I browse collection1, I see projectA and projectB hosted in collection1. Browsing collection2, I see the same project (projectA and projectB) and I cannot see projectC and projectD

• Ben Funk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If by "creating workspaces against these environments" you mean that nothing actually downloads, then yes, there are still issues. Hopefully it'll get solved soon. I'm eager to use it.

• Andreas Aronsen Nesheim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Follow-up on my previous comment: I was able to add the missing write permissions to the files using the "chmod" command. Now the project retrieved using this extension builds.

• Andreas Aronsen Nesheim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am now able to connect to our on-premise TFS server and was able to pull down the code! I was able to by using the following URL format: "http://mysourcecodeurl:8080/tfs". I also had to add the domain, don't know if this applies for everyone.
        I did experience a build error though, but I am not sure if this is related to this extension. The error message: "The "ACTool" task failed unexpectedly." Turns out that all the files have a write lock on them. Tried to unlock the files with some commands, but nothing worked.

• chetan oswal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to connect on-premise TFS server, keep getting Unable to Authenticate error. Tried all combinations of domain & username but no luck.

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm able to authenticate against our on-premises TFS, the project list of a TFVC collection does not list any project on Source Control Explorer; and the collections that only support GIT the IDE say it's not under source control.

• Ben Funk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With our on-premise TFS instance, I just keep getting "unable to authenticate".

Should domain and user be domain\user or just user in the user and domain in the domain? I've tried both and neither works.

• Nigel Kirkby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I still cannot connect to our source control repository using the v0.3 of this extension. It just keeps coming back to the 'Where is your project hosted? screen, which has nothing in the list of repositories. In Visual Studio running on Windows 10 on a parallels VM on the very same MacBook Pro, the exact same credentials work absolutely fine.

• Francesco Aiello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After entering credentials it just infinitely loads. What is the solution? I'm using TFS Server on visualstudio.com.

• Ranveer Katiyar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Team
        We are able to setup extension 0.2.1 and can see the projects list under our TFS but the problem is here we cant mapped to local work-space. There is no option to create or select local work-space.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 20 21

Feedback and Knowledge Base