How can we improve Microsoft Visual Studio for Mac?

Allow me to open multiple copies of the app

I need to have more than one copy of Visual Studio open at once.

120 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Maury Hill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you can do that unix syle:
    in terminal:
    cd /Applications/Visual\ Studio.app/Contents/MacOS
    and then run it as the background process: e.g.:
    ./VisualStudio &

• Dave Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that the option 'Close current workspace' is missing from the current version (7.3.2 build 12), so you can no longer uncheck it. That was only a half measure anyway. Being able to open two solutions in two different windows (even having them on two different monitors), is key.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Others have mentioned unchecking current workspace.... several issues with this.

1) This stupid simplistic toolbar doesn't give enough feedback to what I am running
    2) I don't want two separate solutions combined in a single workspace, they are separate for a reason
    3) How do you open multiple recent solutions with this ridiculous design?
    4) wtf Microsoft, seriously, this is what you came up with? I would figure someone at Microsoft actuallys uses Visual Studio, and knows how users use it?

What a worthless product.... I was excited Visual Studio came out on a mac, no more RDP sessions into a VM to do my development, until I saw how much of a **** this thing is....

• Jim Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can open multiple solutions at once - when you select a solution in the open dialog click the options button and uncheck 'Close current workspace'. Removes the need for multiple instances

• Dan Siegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I shouldn't need to open a terminal or use a 3rd party solution. This is something that should be baked in just like it is with so many other applications.

• Aaron LaBeau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can also use an apple script to do this and make the apple script an app that you can put on the dock

• robgibbens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can run multiple copies on the Mac by opening a Terminal window and typing

open -n "/Applications/Visual Studio.app"

Feedback and Knowledge Base