How can we improve Microsoft Visual Studio for Mac?

Allow me to open multiple copies of the app

I need to have more than one copy of Visual Studio open at once.

109 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Maury Hill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you can do that unix syle:
        in terminal:
        cd /Applications/Visual\ Studio.app/Contents/MacOS
        and then run it as the background process: e.g.:
        ./VisualStudio &

• Dave Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that the option 'Close current workspace' is missing from the current version (7.3.2 build 12), so you can no longer uncheck it. That was only a half measure anyway. Being able to open two solutions in two different windows (even having them on two different monitors), is key.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Others have mentioned unchecking current workspace.... several issues with this.

1) This stupid simplistic toolbar doesn't give enough feedback to what I am running
        2) I don't want two separate solutions combined in a single workspace, they are separate for a reason
        3) How do you open multiple recent solutions with this ridiculous design?
        4) wtf Microsoft, seriously, this is what you came up with? I would figure someone at Microsoft actuallys uses Visual Studio, and knows how users use it?

What a worthless product.... I was excited Visual Studio came out on a mac, no more RDP sessions into a VM to do my development, until I saw how much of a **** this thing is....

• Jim Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can open multiple solutions at once - when you select a solution in the open dialog click the options button and uncheck 'Close current workspace'. Removes the need for multiple instances

• Dan Siegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I shouldn't need to open a terminal or use a 3rd party solution. This is something that should be baked in just like it is with so many other applications.

• Aaron LaBeau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can also use an apple script to do this and make the apple script an app that you can put on the dock

• robgibbens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can run multiple copies on the Mac by opening a Terminal window and typing

open -n "/Applications/Visual Studio.app"

Feedback and Knowledge Base