How can we improve Microsoft Visual Studio for Mac?

Developing Windows 10 Apps on macOS

I find it good if i can develop and debug directly for Windows 10 Devices on my Mac.

168 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Philippe Faucon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if running is not possible, being able to compile would be ideal. Because OS X was first to market by a decade our CI server is a mac, and we are currently unable to have our UWP versions in CI. Ironically, even Microsoft's own AppCenter does not support Xamarin UWP.

• Ethan Burrow Fairweather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. .NET Core is designed to be cross platform. Lets truly make it cross platform. I do understand that UWP apps don't work on mac, but they can be emulated.

• Wisnu Wardhana Here commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'am currently developing WPF app in my MacBook and I have to install windows which is consuming to much memory. Please add this feature to VS for Mac

• buzzsaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At least add the Target for Xamarin Windows Mobile/UWP in addition to just Android and iOS.

• Bobby Harrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also would love to be able to develop for Windows 10 from a Mac, I am a Windows guy and a Windows developer first, but the company I work for loves Mac and the other OS's, this would go along ways in convincing them to let me also develop a Windows version of app.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's like asking for Mangos to grow on an Apple tree.
        Let's leave Windows technology in Windows. UWP is underutilized anyway. Nobody in the industry really cares about it.

• Shafiq Jetha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you need a remote machine to do the building, like how you need a Mac to build Xamarin.iOS apps on a Windows box, this would be a great help.

At the very least, it would be good to get intellisense happening in UWP projects, just so that cross-platform development can happen on one machine, even if the building has to happen on a separate machine.

• Dan Siegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd understand if you can't debug locally, but you should be at least able to open, build and deploy to a remote machine.

• Kyler Jensen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if we cannot build or edit Windows UWP projects, I would like to be able to create a new project that targets the platform. I can then share the project source code with colleagues running Windows.

• Zak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UWP runtime for Mac would be great, but for now, i'll be happy if Xamaroin.Forms supports macOS one day

Feedback and Knowledge Base