How can we improve Microsoft Visual Studio for Mac?

Add SQL Server integration

Add SQL Server integration so that it's easier to build end to end mobile and web apps that contain Web API Core and Entity Framework Core.

278 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chem Swift shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard Lalancette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my vote to this.
        I went back to windows 10 when I saw I couldn't not fire up a SQL database just like with my previous project on windows 10.
        I late saw how to build this through Docker, but it was rather insane process.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

mssql-server-linux works with Visual Studio Code but how to make this work with Visual Studio Community for Mac?

• Travis Wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Gizzer - you can use the mssql-server-linux container on Docker for Mac to get a nice lightweight local DB. Once SQL Server 2017 GA is available you can choose between Developer or Express Edition for local development.

• Gizzer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Going the whole hog and actually having SQL Server Express for Mac would be even better!

• Miha Valencic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support for adding Tools packages like `Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Tools.DotNet`. Currently the VS reports an error and you need to add tools manually to the csproj file.

Package 'Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Tools.DotNet 1.0.0' has a package type 'DotnetCliTool' that is not supported by project 'MacMvc'.

• Hawk leaf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Warren here, I'm hoping to use visual studio on Mac as a full environment for developing ASP.NET Core applications. So as one of the main parts of a MVC framework, adding a database in this way would be very beneficial.

This could also be solved by providing a temporary set of documentation pages on how to get around this problem.

• Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is now some Visual Studio Code plugin that can connect to SQL Server, that could work as a temporary measure, but I agree having this in Visual Studio for Mac would be nice. As a cloud/mobile-first IDE, it should work with both full-ms-sql-server instances and Azure SQL instances.

Feedback and Knowledge Base