How can we improve Microsoft Visual Studio for Mac?

Apple Touch Bar support

I have the new MacBook with the Touch Bar. When running Visual Studio for Windows in Parallels I really miss the function keys. But how cool would it be if you would have context aware toolbar when coding. Eg. refactorings like "Extract method" when having code selected. "Extract interface" when a class is marked. Or "Run to cursor" when a debugging. The list goes on and done right the Touch Bar could be a developers best friend.

So Microsoft... if you really mean this Visual Studio for Mac thing, you should beat Apple with this feature. You would gain so much traction in the Development community, that even true Apple developers would see the "new Microsoft".

102 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Jespersen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gabriel RB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi thomas.
        You can configure touch bar to always show function keys when parallel´s open.

:)

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

by itself it's a really cool idea, but in reality, you are asking Microsoft to spend time and resources on a functionality to a product they don't even make and still very few people own.
        I think something like that should be a plugin/extension someone can develop , but I doubt MS will ever do that. Cool idea tho.

• Marquis Kurt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see controls such as Debug, build, pause, stop debugging, etc. on Touch Bar. Would be a nice feature to implement (I don't own a MBP w/ Touch Bar, but still think idea is nice)

Feedback and Knowledge Base